28 and want to change career

Hi all,

New member here and after a little advice. Im 28 and currently working as a ducting fitter. I am wanting to make a move to the refrigeration side of things. Pipework, fitting, repairs etc.

I found a 10 day course for £1800 + Vat that offers the following;

You will acquire skills in:

pipework fabrication and jointingstrength and tightness pressure testingevacuation and dehydrationcharging, commissioning and leak checkingbasic electrical testing and record keepingrefrigerant recovery and disposalrecord keeping

How you will be assessed:

City & Guilds 2079 F Gas (Cat 1)City & Guilds 2081 Split Air Conditioning (Heat Pump) Installation & CommissioningBRA Level 3 Pipework and Flame Brazing.

So my question, are these courses really worth the paper they are written on? Will this enable me to get an entry level job or will i be in the same situation trying to get employed just 2k down?

Cheers guys,
    Danny

Re: 28 and want to change career

F-gas over 5 days around £1000
    http://www.hsstraining.com/browse-su...Q&gclsrc=aw.ds
    http://www.ppltraining.co.uk/trainin...#axzz4IYlNrMu5
    http://www.ellistraining.co.uk/cours...ory-1-five-day

Pipework and brazing 2 to 3 days £150 - £200
    http://www.citb.co.uk/awards/qualifi...refrigeration/
    http://http://www.ior.org.uk/ior_/images/pdf/BRA-IoRGuidetoGoodcommrefpractice-Part4-%20System%20Installation_2_.pdf

As for the AC course it says that it teaches you what you require for electrical,
    refrigeration and legislation.

A 2 to 3 day course can only introduce you to those, the electrical alone is 3 years,
    the AC is 3 years all at college and then you are qualified. You then need experience
    and that is the hard bit.

The F-gas and pipe work and brazing will get you a foot in the door because
    they are requirements, the AC would in all honestly not get you that much credit.

But combined the F-gas £1000ish, Pipework and brazing £150ish, that makes the AC
    part add up to about £600ish???

F-gas, yes
    Pipework brazing, yes
    AC, maybe.

Rob

.. ... -. .----. - / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. . / --. --- --- -..

I think at best it will make you look a better prospect to a potential employer because you've been a bit proactive. There again you might find an employer willing to take you on and go from there.
    If it was me (and the route I took at your age but before f gas was about) think more about doing the NVQ as night classes, did mine at Eastleigh. First year was a waste of time but long term more use than a ten day course because you can ask questions anyhow.
    Check my profile, get our website and call the mobile ending 666 if you want a chinwag.
    Cheers,
    Andy.

This is the course - http://www.ellistraining.co.uk/cours...starter-course

I understand that there is no way you can learn enough in 10 days to secure a job in the field and be confident / competent to carry out the fault diagnosis and repairs etc.

So this part of the course would seem like a waste of money; City & Guilds 2081 Split Air Conditioning (Heat Pump) Installation & Commissioning. As previously state it would take years to learn this so offering this as part of the course wouldnt benefit me atall.

Its all i want to do now to be honest and with the savings i have i can afford to be on a low salary for the next year or 2. With regards to the NVQ is this more focused on tool experience?

Cheers guys, also Tayters ill check it out and have a little chat once ive had a read about the NVQs etc.

Thanks

Ellis is a good trainer, have sent lads to him and surpassed expectations, my personal preference would be to hire an apprentice and then send them after having practical experience so they can see what they don't know before attending training (if that makes sense). Having the course done in my view would not be a major advantage, but this is a personal view.
    Mostly found in the southern part of this green and pleasant land.

Cheers for input Al,

Its more about my age and trying to find an employer that will take on a 28 year old and invest time and money. When they have lots of applicant's who are younger/school leavers they could seem like less risk. I think the government give funding for employers offering 16-21 year olds apprenticeships. Makes them less risk but not always the better option.

Make less of your age and more of your industry experience, you are not competing with school leavers, my year had a 32 year old and a 21 year old, rest were 18, 50% of the 18 year olds dropped out in year 2.

I have had a look at NVQs and most seem to be 5 weeks work placment 1 week in the class room. That or the classic 10/15 day course. Cant seem to find any that offer an evening study. Over a few years. Will have to give them a call after the bank holiday weekend to see if this is somthing they offer.

Al, was you also working as an apprentice in the field during the NVQ or was you able to continue working in a diffrent field intill you gained more experience/knowledge to move over?

I took a career change in my early twenties , our apprenticeships are a bit different i think, you do 4 years mixed of work and college all with same employer, not sure what uk system is now.

Godspeed. Where are you based?

Godspeed88,

The great Earl Nightingale said in his 1956 work - "The Strangest Secret" that "You become what you think about most of the time." That's worth taking a few moments to reflect on.

This truism is your greatest weapon in bringing about developing the inertia to create a change in your career. The fact that you are determined to do this is a good thing and will help you get up to where you want to be.

Read as much as you can. Trawl through this forum. Offer to do some jobs for free with a mentor. If you don't know someone personally, pick someone in the industry, knock on their door, tell them what your dream is, and ask them what you can do for them to gain experience. Be in control of your own destiny.

Don't under-estimate the inspirational value of someone who is passionate about what they want to do. It can open a lot of doors.

I like your style. Keep at it. I'm cheering for you.

Cheers

Richie

hookster is offline Veteran Poster I am starting to push the Mods: of RE

Education is the easy part, for employers it is the guy who is willing to work and still proactively add to his own skills as well as receiving what the employer offers who make great technicians.

Where are you based in the Uk? - Godspeed88
    I love the smell of Ammonia in the morning!

Hookster, it seems that you and I agree that one volunteer is worth ten pressed men... Godspeed will never now realise how close he came to getting his chance..
    The mind boggles.