Been a long time, would like someone to discuss autocascades and refrigeration with.

Been years since I've posted, after I made my first autocascade 10 or so years ago I took a break from it, but now I am back into it again and I would love to get some input and bounce ideas off you guys, and help where I can with autocascades.

I threw together a Frankenstein autocascade recently just for the fun of it and it is running propane and nitrous oxide just as my last one did. I would love to get some ethylene to make it perfect, but this isn't a perfect world so there ya go. I've noticed the nitrous and propane creates a blend that makes P/T charts next to useless, it's quite perplexing.

It is running quite well, however, and it would be fun to talk ULT refrigeration with anyone who is interested, so just let me know.

Re: Been a long time, would like someone to discuss autocascades and refrigeration wi

What a shame, I guess all the refrigeration forums I know of are pretty much dead. Back when I was really into it before I took a break they were booming. Professor sporlan and gary would chime in with a lot of very good information, just to name a couple.

If anyone wants to discuss refrigeration give me a holler, my skype is Vib.ro.phil. Just remove the periods since I don't want spambots attacking me :P Or just pm me.

Re: Been a long time, would like someone to discuss autocascades and refrigeration wi

Hi
    don't despair, there are a few of us old people reading your post.
    A seriously long time ago, I had a treble cascade cabinet at a medical school that had lots of not nice biopsy things in side. the super low stage ran on propane of some sort. Really low cabinet temps in the -100 or lower range. These days liquid N2 and CO 2 cascade systems etc.,
    Gary is back on forum, had a break as had health issues, not sure about Prof Sporlan though.
    magoo

Quote Originally Posted by Magoo View Post
    Hi
    don't despair, there are a few of us old people reading your post.
    A seriously long time ago, I had a treble cascade cabinet at a medical school that had lots of not nice biopsy things in side. the super low stage ran on propane of some sort. Really low cabinet temps in the -100 or lower range. These days liquid N2 and CO 2 cascade systems etc.,
    Gary is back on forum, had a break as had health issues, not sure about Prof Sporlan though.
    magoo
    Yeah I heard about Gary, glad he is doing well!

I am guessing the low stage ran on ethylene, which is what I have been wanting to get for years to reach and get below -100c on my autocascades, but it would be about 600 dollars. Automotive nitrous oxide just doesn't cut it as it form a blend with the nitrous and it isn't even pure in the first place, but I did get to -100c on my first autocascade I built over 12 years ago. My second autocascade I slapped together with extra junk I had laying around does around -80c to -90c, but the P/T relationship doesn't match up at all.