UK Residential Multisplit with 5 wall units Installation Prices? (Fitting only)

I have a very standard 1990s 3 bed detached house, as above (bushes at the back now gone)
    I have new in box the following Daikin equipment:

1x 5mxs90e multisplit outdoor unit (going under kitchen window at back of house)
    2x emura ftxg35lw wall units (going in living room and kitchen diner, both downstairs against right hand gable wall of house)
    3x ftxs20k wall units (2 are going in upstairs bedrooms, again being fitted against right hand gable wall of house, the third is downstairs against the left hand gable wall where the garage was - garage has been converted to a downstairs bedroom)

No pumping of condensate drain water required, drain piping will just go straight out the wall and down. everything can be run externally, no difficult internal runs. Electrician will already have 13 amp spur ready to go under the kitchen window, where there's also the outdoor tap drain available.

What's a reasonable price to expect for this kit to be installed on a fitting only basis, just supplying any ancillary bits (I don't have any fitting kits etc) with me supplying the units themselves in the UK milton keynes region?

Any advice appreciated!
    Last edited by AlVal; 31-07-2016 at 08:48 AM.

hookster is offline Veteran Poster I am starting to push the Mods: of RE

Re: UK Residential Multisplit with 5 wall units Installation Prices? (Fitting only)

Hi AlVal
    Prices are market driven and at present seasonal peaks you will probably be charged a higher rate due to supply and demand levels.

I would estimate that install and commissioning for this system would be in the region of 6 man working days, so 3 days for a man and mate to complete. Your average cost for this install would be approximately £1,750.00 excl vat at industry rates but as I said before you will have to pay the going rate at the time.
    I love the smell of Ammonia in the morning!

Re: UK Residential Multisplit with 5 wall units Installation Prices? (Fitting only)

Hi AlVal

I had an LG system installed in my house 5 years ago. 4 indoor units on 1 outdoor unit in a similar fashion to yours however I had internal trunking to the units. It cost me £1500 for 2 guys to do this over the space of 2/3 days so your looking at about that to £2k I would reckon.

Is the system primarily for cooling or heating and is there gas to the property and a combi boiler? I have found that the gas boiler (set with a flow temp of 50C) is still cheaper to heat the house with in winter over the air con. I use the air con in say the living room with the gas central heating on as supplementary heating like you would perhaps a gas fire and this keeps the lounge cosy. Or I use it in spring or early Autumn when I perhaps maybe only want to heat one room. I find the air con doesn't heat the bathroom so these rooms are cold even with the internal doors open. But again depends how warm you keep your house a bathroom at 18C is chilly when relying on residual heat getting circulated around the house with the air con on - rest of house at 22C. I got mine primarily for cooling.

A point to note about Daikin also is that they have various efficiency settings on the outdoor unit, it is well worth checking these out and having them set. For example at night when the heat load is less due to darkness it is worth setting "silent mode" on the outdoor unit dip switch which technically lowers the capacity of the outdoor unit so you get more efficient running. Your unit (if one of the 2016 models) might also feature Daikins VRT technology explained below but I don't think the Multi Units have this feature as of yet....

Last edited by back2space; 02-08-2016 at 11:37 AM.

£3200.00 +vat if i'm supplying pipe and insulation, cable, trunking, drain pipe, unit brackets etc etc Payment before work commences (have had customers refuse to pay when the equipment they supplied is faulty before) Any warranty issues with the equipment are your problem.
    Mostly found in Oxfordshire, UK :)

http://www.daikintech.co.uk/Data/Mul...B_Databook.pdf

Have a look at page 9 where it states that the minimum running current at 230v is 18.5A ...maybe your 13A supply is a little undersized??

Suggest you contact three local installers and ask them for the price. Most of the posters on here are not in your locality and prices will vary greatly across the country (and planet).

Their warranty will normally exclude the equipment that you supply, as stated above. So, if it breaks down after installation, it will be difficult to avoid paying out for the call-out/repairs.

Also as mentioned above, you will need a new power supply -- probably 32amp but have the engineers that install the system advise you before you go changing things. Hopefully your consumer unit can accommodate that new supply.

Some shrewd customers buy the equipment themselves, thinking they will save loads of money. But installers get discounts from distributors and manufacturers due to the large number of purchases they make in a year -- something that the customer cannot normally benefit from. And the installer will add in his same markup whether you supply the equipment or not. So, in many cases, the customer who purchases his own aircon equipment winds up paying more for the overall installation than he might have paid if he just let the installer supply the equipment. But maybe that's not true for you.

Quote Originally Posted by monkey spanners View Post
    £3200.00 +vat if i'm supplying pipe and insulation, cable, trunking, drain pipe, unit brackets etc etc Payment before work commences (have had customers refuse to pay when the equipment they supplied is faulty before) Any warranty issues with the equipment are your problem.
    appreciate you taking the time to comment/quote - any idea why I'm seeing such a range of price difference?

first reply says average 1750 to expect, yours is near double that - just trying to understand the variables involved, I don't have a problem paying a proper price for a proper job

Quote Originally Posted by frank View Post
    http://www.daikintech.co.uk/Data/Mul...B_Databook.pdf

Have a look at page 9 where it states that the minimum running current at 230v is 18.5A ...maybe your 13A supply is a little undersized??
    Thanks - luckily when I said "already installed" what I really meant was "will have that installed/done and ready for the AC Engineer before job starts"

AlVal

Is the system primarily for cooling or heating and is there gas to the property and a combi boiler? I have found that the gas boiler (set with a flow temp of 50C) is still cheaper to heat the house with in winter over the air con. I use the air con in say the living room with the gas central heating on as supplementary heating like you would perhaps a gas fire and this keeps the lounge cosy. My system is primarily used for cooling. Assuming your using the gas boiler still for hot water or is it an immersion?