Transfer Refrigerant from One Condenser to Another

Hello all,

I have a more unique situation: an overcharged heat pump and an undercharged AC one next to the other, both piston with piston metering at the coil. The refrigerant is R-22 and I am planning on transferring refrigerant from one unit to the other. This is how I am thinking of doing this, please let me know if you see an issue with the approach:

- connect blue gauge hose to the suction line of the overcharged unit and purge line
    - connect red gauge hose to the suction line of the undercharged unit and purge line
    - connect yellow gauge hose to the liquid line of the overcharged unit and purge line
    - slowly meter liquid refrigerant through the red manifold, wait and check pressure and superheat, repeat until the overcharged unit's superheat is correct (with both units running)
    - close yellow ball valve and let all the remaining liquid slowly go into the undercharged unit
    - disconnect gauge

The undercharged AC unit is in bad shape (leaking coil) and will need to be replaced soon, but this should give it a little more time...

Thank you.

Re: Transfer Refrigerant from One Condenser to Another

It should work the you set it up.

Are you planning on fixing the leak before you refill R22 into that system? Cant imagine the EPA being to happy with you if you dont.

Planning to pump it down first and fixing the leak. I just wanted to make sure the procedure I was thinking of doing by moving some refrigerant directly from the overcharged unit to this one is sound and won't cause any issues.