Insulating suction of Mycom screw compressor

Had a client request the insulation of compressor to prevent any ice on suction compressor at all.
    This is pretty unusual to me, does anyone have any practical ways to do it or seen anything out there.

Can't help but think it's going to be pretty ugly & another expense when removing it for service.

Re: Insulating suction of Mycom screw compressor

Hi, RANGER1

Quote Originally Posted by RANGER1 View Post
    Had a client request the insulation of compressor to prevent any ice on suction compressor at all.
    This is pretty unusual to me, does anyone have any practical ways to do it or seen anything out there.

Can't help but think it's going to be pretty ugly & another expense when removing it for service.
    Please check attached photos ... this kind of protection is "standard" for Howden screw compressors installed within open area to reduce noise and to protect compressor from low or high temperature ...

I will try to find out who is manufacturer ...

04 Protection cover.jpg01 Protection cover.jpg02 Protection cover.jpg03 Protection cover.jpg

I know this maybe is not the best solution of your problem ....

Other way is to make a precise removable aluminum cladding for compressor area to be insulated ... then protect compressor with grease or similar to avoid injected polyurethane to stick and then inject insulation foam ...

Quite expensive job, but if client like to pay ... there is no limit ... to be nice.

Or the most simple thing to install kind of SS or aluminium tray under compressor to collect water from melted ice ...

I do hope you'll get some good idea ...

Best regards, Josip

It's impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious...

Don't ever underestimate the power of stupid people when they are in large groups.

Please, don't teach me how to be stupid....
    No job is as important as to jeopardize the safety of you or those that you work with.

Thanks Josip,
    Strange request for client not wanting any ice formation on compressor in my opinion.
    Just a accepted thing & you can tell by looking at it if plant running correctly or not.
    Thanks for your pictures, will have to ask insulation company what they can do.
    This is on Mycom screw, so a bit harder than Howden.

Hi Ranger
    Their is a insulation clay on the market for this and it is not expensive at all. It is normally used in the shipping industry. Just search it on Google.
    THE BEST WAY OF LEARNING IS TO DO IT YOURSELF!!!