Thread: Voltage Logging

jim thorpe Guest

Voltage Logging

First off, thank you for reading this post. Secondly, I'm sure these questions have been asked before an I apologize.
    I'm looking for a way to test multiple AC circuits (3 max) for output only. It's not necessary that I know the voltage measurement, amperage, time of day, or even the longevity of the interruption. Although those options would be nice. I've tried looking for something simple and everything I've seen is extremely expensive. I'm almost considering building this tool from scratch.

I also remember something like an inline fuse that when de-energized it would trip and have to be reset. These would also be helpful.

Any information I can get from hear would be greatly appreciated.

Jim

Re: Voltage Logging

I assume you are talking about 120V.If you want to know only if the power went off or not, and for how long I would suggest a old fashioned electric clock. If the power is off for more than a short time it will show on the clock face.
    If you use a digital that does not come back on after a power failure (blinks) it will tell you what you need to know.
    You could very simply use a relay that is latched in through a NO contact would do the same thing.

jim thorpe Guest

Excellent idea. I did think of this but I would need to tap into more than one circuit within a piece of equipment and clocks may be cumbersome.
    I may end up building something like this depending on the feedback I get.

Hi Jim
    We used to sell a monitoring device from a company called Wagner called a Tattle Tale which monitored voltage and was a one shot device. You could put it across fuse ,pressure switches etc to detect and identify nuisance component trips. They also did a resettable version.
    You could also look at the devices that Supco supply that monitor brown outs, etc .
    I believe these are all available from most of your wholesalers

Omron have a small digital counter that counts power stops, cheap and small. Very handy device.