Hello everyone,

This is my first post in this forum and I hope the issue i'm about to present is simple. First of all i'm not an AC professional but I have moderate background and experience with AC as DIY. I live in United Arab Emirates and there are no real professional ac technicians so that is why I wanted to present my issue here.

My uncle house have central AC system installed for more than 20+ years, YORK brand. Each is around 7 tons and one of them recently got a bad compressor.

I brought an AC technician who suggested replacing the compressor after several attempt to make it run but failed. The compressor is 3phase copeland BRE4-0750-TFD-501 with LRA 91.1A

Unfortunately this compressor is not available anymore and I asked many shops around and they suggested a piston compressor brand bristol with LRA around 72.

Bristol compressor is wider but shorter and the piping were little different so technician had to work it out to install the compressor properly.

The system was flushed properly with r141b and old filter drier was removed and replaced with new one after flushing was done. New compressor installed and system was vacuumed for like 4 hours and there were no leaks. Then gas charged r22 to around 60 psi on suction side to test cooling.

cooling was fine but not close to the other systems with copeland compressors. Also readings of pressure from other system were taken to make sure the new compressor replaced system is under same conditions. I know that following super-heat is better and would do after finding the problem.

The indoor duct temperature was around 16C ~60F and the compressor is running normally and warm to touch. However the suction line going to compressor should be usually cold but in this case it is around 27C ~80F

Another system with copeland compressor has suction line around 8C ~ 46F and this picture for the system. Ignore icing as it was due to low gas charge and adding little gas solved it and reading was taken to be 8C.

So my problem is that there is not enough cooling and the compressor bristol is a bit smaller than the old copeland one but the temp are way far and cooling is really weak. I thought maybe there was a restriction in system. Technician found out after a week that the filter drier was installed opposite side so he opened it and installed it correctly thinking this was a restriction. He charged gas again and let the system run and got same result.

Hope you could suggest me as I did call other technician and they could not find the problem and suggested changing the compressor. I will post picture of the piping line and evaporator/condenser if needed but the system is well built quality and coils are great and have no leaks.

Thank you very much