Transicold R90 run issues

I have a Transicold R90 Multitemp reefer in which compartment 1 won't run at Highway speed. it will start initially, but when the unit idles up it will shut down after about five seconds. If compartment 2 is run on its own it goes fine. When it stops, the standby icon flashes. If it is left at city speed, the unit will stay running. Any insight would be totally appreciated.

Re: Transicold R90 run issues

Not too familiar with 'Highway Speed' and 'City Speed'

Can you elaborate for us this side of the pond?

In the highway setting, the engine runs faster than the city setting. I think its mostly for noise reduction.

Sounds like a fuel starvation problem,have you changed fuel filters and cleaned the fuel pump filter,also clean the condensor it may be a high pressure fault

New filters just over a month ago. Fuel issues were my first thought, but if you only run the second compartment everything runs fine. When it stops the display isn't throwing any codes. Only the standby icon flashes really quick right as it quits.

Maybe the cable between in cab and unit,they give trouble you just have to replace that then see what happens have you tried another in cab controller ?

I would have a good look over the cab command harness and try (as Cad mentioned) a known good CC. Possibly even a bad controller. Seen a lot of problems with newer units getting water into the control box and corroding the controller. The old R90 boxes were thicker and didn't rust through like the newer ones, but R90s are at least 10 years old now. The standby icon flashing is really strange.
    Also check the plug that connects the 1st evaporator inside the evap (old units may be a junction box) I've seen the plugs burn and arc across the plug putting high voltage from the fans and heater bars back to the low voltage. Hopefully this isn't the case, it gets real ugly. Watch were you put your hands if the unit's running. If it is arcing somewhere 220vac can give you a nasty spike!
    Keep us posted on what you find.

We also have the issue of drinks coffee coke etc being split over the in cab which ok it's easy to reach! But located close to the drink holder is asking for trouble,true beware of that generator it's got no friends and it bites!

I would check gen as it might fails under the load. Also as others said C1 evap plug might might caused the problem.

Thanks for everything guys. I'm leaning towards lousy wires. The unit worked for six days without a skip. All I did was lay hands on it. As of this morning I now have no Evap fans. Very possibly just gremlins in an ten year old machine with 14,000 hours on it. I'm still up for suggestions, but don't lose any sleep over it. thanks again!

If the generator fails then basically the fans stop,then you would ice up and have a low pressure on the suction which would cause it to stop,check the capacitors drive belt to generator.

Quote Originally Posted by cadwaladr View Post
    If the generator fails then basically the fans stop,then you would ice up and have a low pressure on the suction which would cause it to stop,check the capacitors drive belt to generator.
    The generator drive belt has to be tight, even a little slipping and it stops working.

Ok. So I've shifted from the wiring and taken the advice of the pros. I see that both trucks with these units aren't using the generator at all. the belts are only routed from the alternator to the standby motor. how much concern does this call for? It looks like they've been this way for some time. Is this a common practice or just a cobble job?

Sounds like they have been modified do the fans work in the rear

The fans worked until a few days ago in both compartments. When the run issues with the engine miraculously went away, the fans quit in both compartments.

Is this a common practice or just a cobble job?

This is a very common fix. The standby motor should be outputting 230vac it normally runs the heater bars but will handle the extra load of the evap fan motors. The unit needs to be running in high speed all the time for this to work. If you're not getting output from the motor the most common fault is the capacitors mounted in the box bolted to the front of the box somewhere. There should be three 115 uF capacitors. One or more is probably blown or the connections barbecued. Be cautious anytime the unit is running you have the potential of 230 vac and carrier wiring what it is you could get a spike!

Change the caps it's not expensive,I don't ever hop e to understand electricity but it's invisible and bites so treat it with respect!

Thanks again for the help. I've made an appointment with at a shop to take a look at it. I was going to change the capacitors and call it good, but the original issue still isn't resolved. For the sake of sanity I thought this the best course of action. If anything interesting or helpful comes out of this, I'll be sure to post it for you're reference.

Probably a good idea,sounds like it needs an expert to look at it hope it's not too expensive!

We'll never know. After all that, now the boss is trading it off!

That's a problem solved for you now it's someone else's issue