R22 low subcooling

r22 2 ton goodman no txv. outside air temp 90.31 deg. split temp air intake and best register.low side 67, high side 218. superheat 18 subcooling 1.3. tech came out said system has noncondensables. want to recover *****,clean evap coils and pull vacuum. recharge. r22 is very expensive, could he just pump down,clean coils, vacuum and recharge?

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

Re: R22 low subcooling

It depends, what is the legal stance were you are with regards to using R22 as it is now a banned refrigerant.

Other than that, if the refrigerant has non-condensibles then it can be cleaned but that costs money also.
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

still have here in texas. 450 dollars 30 lb bottle.

tech came. recovered my ***** to clean bottle.cleaned evap and cond coils. checked amps on fans. all good. vacuumed sytem. added ***** back. charged me for 1 lb. new numbers are inside wet bulb 60f. outside dry bulb 84. low press 70 high press 178. SH 1.6...SC 4.7... target SH 8.6 on feildpeice. he said im good and left. 625 dollars. hope it works. feedback please.

Quote Originally Posted by dwsmith43 View Post
    still have here in texas. 450 dollars 30 lb bottle.
    Multiply your $ 450 USD by 5 and convert to OZ $. R22 here is close to the phase out stage.
    Last edited by mikeref; 22-06-2016 at 09:02 AM. Reason: Currently one AU $ is 75 Cents Merican
    To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty.

Quote Originally Posted by dwsmith43 View Post
    tech came. recovered my ***** to clean bottle.cleaned evap and cond coils. checked amps on fans. all good. vacuumed sytem. added ***** back. charged me for 1 lb. new numbers are inside wet bulb 60f. outside dry bulb 84. low press 70 high press 178. SH 1.6...SC 4.7... target SH 8.6 on feildpeice. he said im good and left. 625 dollars. hope it works. feedback please.
    According to these numbers, the SCT is 10F over outdoor ambient with low superheat. Maybe I'm wrong or maybe the numbers are wrong, but this doesn't look good.

your right about that. 86 degrees in the house. 88 outside. on the upside, less humidity in here.

I would remove refrigerant very slowly until the superheat is at least 10F... and hope the valves are not broken.