Threaded View

Question Motor speed control of a hermetically sealed pump

Non professional newbie retired hobbyist here (NPNRH ?).

Need a hermetically sealed pump for a hobby project that will have a flow rate of around 1 cubic metre of uncompressed gas per minute. The compression of the gas is at relatively low pressures ~15psi so only low wattage required. Maximum external/internal gas pressure is likely 10 bar - well within normal refrigerator pump spec limits. Although many pumps specify the cubic capacity they do not seem to specify the pump rpm, which is likely to be a multiple of the mains frequency, I'm guessing 1500 or 3000 rpm. I'm thinking of a domestic type fridge motor for ease of availability and cost. Would a large cc pump running at lower speed be more efficient than a small one running much faster? I have a Samsung fridge freezer which has a digital invertor and runs at a much higher speed than a conventional synchronous motor yet claims better efficiency.

Is it possible to control a std domestic pump motor speed with a VFD motor controller ? Has anyone done it?

Failing that are small pumps available which can be driven from an external motor via a belt drive?

Any info or (polite) advice much needed and appreciated.

Best Regards

picclock
    Last edited by picclock; 17-06-2016 at 09:26 AM.