Emerson condenser

I have a Emerson mcl da 165 condenser on site. It states in the manual that the condenser has a built in trap so no external trap is required. The hot gas connection is 5.5 feet from the bottom of the pipe to the condenser inlet.

can anyone tell me if a trap is required at the condenser as in the manual it also states that you must have a trap on the vertical if over 5ft .

Re: Emerson condenser

Hi ballvalve.
    first impression, it would seem the condenser has a built in sub cooling circuit which will act as a liquid trap before draining to receiver.
    Hot gas entry 5 plus foot from compressor to entry to condenser placed above compressor, condenser should have a trap at entry to condenser to avoid liquid formation and draining back to compressor in off cycle in cold ambiets. Add a stop check valve close to compressor in discharge line.

Quote Originally Posted by Magoo View Post
    Hi ballvalve.
    first impression, it would seem the condenser has a built in sub cooling circuit which will act as a liquid trap before draining to receiver.
    Hot gas entry 5 plus foot from compressor to entry to condenser placed above compressor, condenser should have a trap at entry to condenser to avoid liquid formation and draining back to compressor in off cycle in cold ambiets. Add a stop check valve close to compressor in discharge line.

The he client has asked for traps at the condenser as the hot gas entering is 5.5 ft but in all the manuals it states that no traps are required as the condenser has a built in trap. I already have these systems charged and ready to go so I need to prove traps are not need or else I have a lot of more work to do .

Hi Ballvalve.
    if you are confident that system you have installed is complient with equipment suppliers specifications and warranty, then explain that to your client. If he insists further then cost it out and charge extra for retro fitting changes.
    explain everything in writing first to equipment suppliers and report back to client suppliers response so as you cover your arse financially/ risk factor.
    Secondly, the whole thing could get messy, so just do what client wants and save the grief.