Volume of chiller liquid receiver

Hello everybody,

First of all thank you for attention.

I'm working for Chiller manufacturer in Sales and Marketing departmant. I realized that we're making a mistake about sizing of chiller liquid receiver.

I include total all of the mass calculations ( volume of condenser charge + volume of evaporators charge + liquid piping )

Am I doing a mistake ?

Btw sorry for my weak English =)

Best Regards,

Re: Volume of chiller liquid receiver

Hi, cihan--demir

welcome to RE forums ...

Quote Originally Posted by cihan--demir View Post
    Hello everybody,

First of all thank you for attention.

I'm working for Chiller manufacturer in Sales and Marketing departmant. I realized that we're making a mistake about sizing of chiller liquid receiver.

I include total all of the mass calculations ( volume of condenser charge + volume of evaporators charge + liquid piping )

Am I doing a mistake ?

Btw sorry for my weak English =)

Best Regards,
    NO ... your calculation is correct ... receiver would be sized to accumulate complete amount of refrigerant within plant ... good engineering practice ...

... then is coming, big but .... client will come with question can you make it smaller i.e. cheaper ... so the final price is playing a big role in design ...

I believe some other valuable mamber will contribute with some good advice ... suggestion, example etc ..

we do not know what type of chiller you produce ... so design and size can vary ...

Best regards, Josip

It's impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious...

Don't ever underestimate the power of stupid people when they are in large groups.

Please, don't teach me how to be stupid....
    No job is as important as to jeopardize the safety of you or those that you work with.

Hi Josip

Our production is air-cooled chiller machine. My calculation for volume of receiver is almost 5 times bigger than which we put the machine. I guess it causes low pressure alarm on the system.

I'm totally lost today for sizing it )))

Best regards, Cihan.

Hi, cihan--demir
    Quote Originally Posted by ;312408
    Hi Josip

Our production is air-cooled chiller machine. My calculation for volume of receiver is almost 5 times bigger than which we put the machine. I guess it causes low pressure alarm on the system.

I'm totally lost today for sizing it )))

Best regards, Cihan.
    Air-cooled or water-cooled condenser is on discharge side ...

what you have on suction side - what type of HE you use ... PHE, S&T HE or something else ...

what is your calculation of receiver volume and what is your calculation of system volume ...(volume of condenser charge + volume of evaporators charge + liquid piping) ...

How much of refrigerant you cahrge into your system ... type and kg...

check you calculation again ... probably some calculation mistake ...

do you use some software for calculation ....

Best regards, Josip

It's impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious...

Don't ever underestimate the power of stupid people when they are in large groups.

Please, don't teach me how to be stupid....
    No job is as important as to jeopardize the safety of you or those that you work with.

Hi, cihan--demir.
    Of caurse, the best situation when reciever can collect all refrigerant charge in system... it's very comfortable for
    service staff. But ther's a compensation reciever, which task is compensate refrigerant temperature increase in volume. Volume of thise type of reciever is smaller (refrigerant temperature increase in volume of all refrigerant in system divided by 2). In some chillers there no reciver... bigger condensator serve like condensator and compensation reciever.

Best regurds, Valery.
    In some places will have to think ...

Blog Entries

it’s all depend on the application if you have low ambient operation or Pump down?

moideen is offline Veteran Poster I am starting to push the Mods: of RE

liquid reciever-123.pdf

it may help you

If system has one compressor, one condenser, one evaporator and by nature it either does not need to shut down or the charge does not need to be accomodated on the high side during shut down, the volume of an HPR can be pretty small. Anything other than that and you are going to need to store some refrigerant at some time or another. Including servicing, unless the kit is of a nature where refrigerant recovery is always the way to address. So chiller is not really enough, how does this thing reduce its capacity or does it ever operate at reduced capacity?