Long preservation of industrial plant with propane

Dear all,

need your help --- your opinion or maybe some of your experience.

One of industrial plant recently started we need to shut down (don't ask me for reason) and make preservation for a longer time ... idea is:

1. - remove all refigerant (R290-propane) make a good vacuum and after break vacuum with N2 up to 0,5 bar!?!

2. -the same will be done with water/propane HE secondary circuit - water side maybe to wash with some inhibitors then drain water and refill water side with N2 up to 0,2-0,3 bar

-any input or suggestion experience to above

the most important question is ...what to do with compressor oil within system ... keep it under pressure of N2 or drain it into drums or some other possiblity ...

any suggestion ... opinion ... your good or bad experience ... is welcome ...

Thanks for your time and effort

Best regards, Josip

It's impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious...

Don't ever underestimate the power of stupid people when they are in large groups.

Please, don't teach me how to be stupid....
    No job is as important as to jeopardize the safety of you or those that you work with.

Re: Long preservation of industrial plant with propane

first thing i would analyze the compressor oil, if it is ok then I would leave it in, if the oil is acidic or dirty, I would flush the system to clean oil residues.

If you empty the refrigerant and deep vacuum the system and break it with N2, why do need to check the water side of the HE? Or it is the instructions?

And how are you these days?

Hi, Chemi

Quote Originally Posted by chemi-cool View Post
    first thing i would analyze the compressor oil, if it is ok then I would leave it in, if the oil is acidic or dirty, I would flush the system to clean oil residues.

If you empty the refrigerant and deep vacuum the system and break it with N2, why do need to check the water side of the HE? Or it is the instructions?

And how are you these days?
    Thanks for reply ... plant is brand new ... six months old .... start up of first 3 compressors last year in November and second 3 compressors this year in January ... oil is new ...

Water side of HE we need to empty to protect it of freezing during winter season with temperature below 0*C down to maybe -15*C ... it is petrochemical plant in open area ...

thanks, I am fine and my family too ... hope your family and you are fine too .. my best wishes to all family ...

Best regards, Josip

Don't ever underestimate the power of stupid people when they are in large groups.

No job is as important as to jeopardize the safety of you or those that you work with.

josip,
    Depending how long it could be shut down for, do you think all refrigerant has to be removed?
    Is it because of flammability even if just gas pressure?
    If not just remove liquid refrigerant & leave gas pressure.
    Isolate compressors package & say monthly manually run oil pump & turn compressors over by hand to keep seal lubricated.
    If for longer period, as you mention preserve with nitrogen & monitor pressure, maybe 3-4 bar pressure though, & run pump etc to lube seals.

Hi, RANGER1

thanks for advices ...

Quote Originally Posted by RANGER1 View Post
    josip,
    Depending how long it could be shut down for, do you think all refrigerant has to be removed?
    Is it because of flammability even if just gas pressure?
    If not just remove liquid refrigerant & leave gas pressure.
    Isolate compressors package & say monthly manually run oil pump & turn compressors over by hand to keep seal lubricated.
    If for longer period, as you mention preserve with nitrogen & monitor pressure, maybe 3-4 bar pressure though, & run pump etc to lube seals.

Not sure how long plant would be in shut down (maybe will never ever start ) ...
    for safety reasons request is to remove all refrigerant and charge N2 for preservation ...

... also for safety reasons pressure of N2 cannot be more then 1 barg.

Advice for lube oil pumps is good ...
    compressor and electric motor must be rotated by hand every week or every second week ...
    the same maintenance preservation procedure will be for all pumps ... oil, propane, water ....

Best regards, Josip