Blog Entries

Show me your acetylene/oxygene carrier

Just wondering how everyone transports their acetylene/oxygen kit.

Luckily I don't have to do much soldering, but yesterday I did, and I had to lug around what we call the "junior kit", junior as in it's smaller than the one in the workshop with wheels on it

GB331-001200_l.jpg
    53082.jpg

good thing about this one is that once you remove the plastic caps on the vertical tubing, you can use it to store the silver rods

-Cheers-

Tycho

Re: Show me your acetylene/oxygene carrier

I use trolley with wheels, no way would i strap the equivelent of a pound of semtex to my back
    Mostly found in the southern part of this green and pleasant land.

Hi Tyco.
    I like Al use a wheeled trolley,
    Just like the one shown in this link.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BOC-Porta-...EAAOSwFMZWtHwR

Grizzly
    Despite the High Cost of Living it still remains Popular!

Blog Entries

First of, I started this thread to see what you guys use

I'm looking for pros and cons and I am not attacking your choice of carrier, just starting a civilized discussion

-----------------------------

We have the wheeled trolley as well, but nobody uses it, because we are mostly on ships and we have to deal with narrow passage ways, up and down stairs that are at anything between 45 and 80 degree angle.

just asking, what do you do with the wheeled one when you have to go up and down stairs?
    Carry it, or just bump it from step to step?
    I would be a bit nervous about the bumping, with the acetylene bottle and all

----------------------------------
    Not loving the shoulder carrier, one time (18 years ago) when I was stepping from a ship to the quay I misjudged the distance from the ship to the quay and ended up flat on my back, with left arm and leg on the ship, right arm and leg on the quay, I was all alone, no crew or co-worker, so I just had to hang on till the ship drifted closer to the quay so I could roll over onto the quay with the gas kit.

-Cheers-

Tycho

if needed on a boat either very long lines or strip the kit and bring in a piece at a time, painful but safer. the trawlers have a crane that can usually be persuaded to lift the kit in (sometimes!!).

The best kit for carrying the bottles...........an apprentice))
    Mostly found in the southern part of this green and pleasant land.

As you have explained more, I now understand your Question and the reason for it better.

Which is quite relevant, because I met up recently with my Naval Dockyard colleague's who were saying that.
    Their jobs had become a nightmare were any on-board brazing was concerned.
    They are no longer allowed to take oxyacetylene on-board. So as a consequence have to trail long hoses through the ship!
    Which as you more than most will understand what that entails!

So 1 or 2 small brazed repair joints which can take minutes to repair, you can spend several hours laying out and tidying up your hoses afterwards.
    What they do when the ship is afloat I will have to ask them!

When I used to do it there wasn't the same number of rules to abide by, as there is now.

Grizzly.
    Despite the High Cost of Living it still remains Popular!

This is what i carry on the van,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7Dkfa0Si70

I have this for bigger jobs but don't use it much now,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpZ1...mA2Po9OkOAMWUA
    Mostly found in Oxfordshire, UK :)

I love your small kit monkey spanners; I saw the video a couple of months back, and have been trying to buy one since but have been told it had been discontinued or unavailable

In the end, I settled on this......

DSC_0047[1].jpg

I only got it yesterday, but a quick test weld with 7/8" and I'm really impressed with it.

I've also got my main kit which I plan using a lot less due to the above....

DSC_0048.jpg

I don't use acetylene; propane has always done me proud and I rarely do pipework over 7/8", and even with larger pipe sizes, this thing has never let me down.

And then I have a couple of those turbo sets....

turboset.jpg
    Never really been happy with it. It does the job, however, I don't like the flame it produces, the "turbo nozzle" blocks too easily (and is a pain to clean) and the oxygen bottles don't last long and cost a bomb. Only use it when I can't get the big kit onsite and now I'm hoping I can rely on the new portable kit and get rid of these turbo sets.

Quote Originally Posted by Rtic View Post
    I love your small kit monkey spanners; I saw the video a couple of months back, and have been trying to buy one since but have been told it had been discontinued or unavailable

In the end, I settled on this......

DSC_0047[1].jpg

I only got it yesterday, but a quick test weld with 7/8" and I'm really impressed with it.

I've also got my main kit which I plan using a lot less due to the above....
    We have a set like that one too, its good as there is no rental on the bottles, just pay for refills.

I spoke to to the Harris rep at the ACR show this year and he didn't say the small set was no longer available as we were looking at getting another one when we have some spare money.

Quote Originally Posted by monkey spanners View Post
    I spoke to the Harris rep at the ACR show this year, and he didn't say the small set was no longer available as we were looking at getting another one when we have some spare money.
    I contacted Harris a couple of weeks ago to purchase one, but they just sent an e-mail to say it was currently unavailable. I then found the same kit on waspsupplies.com (the kit is rebranded "SIEVERT"), but was told by the rep that "the product has been withdrawn due to unreliable supply issues from the manufacturer".

I may try again later in the year, as I wouldn't mind keeping a backup in the workshop.

Quote Originally Posted by Rtic View Post
    I contacted Harris a couple of weeks ago to purchase one, but they just sent an e-mail to say it was currently unavailable. I then found the same kit on waspsupplies.com (the kit is rebranded "SIEVERT"), but was told by the rep that "the product has been withdrawn due to unreliable supply issues from the manufacturer".
    Well thats really annoying! I know at the end of last year i couldn't get any refills but figured it was a problem with calor as thats where i get them from.

Not sure about this but years ago we had a hose that connected a large icy to a dumpy to fill it you had to take it slowly while doing it,and can remember a miniature set called a microflame and that had a hose as well for filling.

Should have spelt oxy!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by al View Post
    if needed on a boat either very long lines or strip the kit and bring in a piece at a time, painful but safer. the trawlers have a crane that can usually be persuaded to lift the kit in (sometimes!!).

The best kit for carrying the bottles...........an apprentice))
    Usually when working on trawlers, they are unloading their cargo, and it's a bi**h to get access to the crane.

I "like" the rucksack design, it's just that it's made as cheap as possible and it sells for a high price, so I was hoping maybe someone knew of a better design

I don't mind strapping a pound of semtex to my back, because as long as it's strapped to my back I have full control of how it's handled rather than trying to manhandle a wheeled dolly down a flight of stairs and dropping it (and we all know what happens with an acetylene bottle once it get banged around a bit, it goes very hot, then it goes kaboom )
    -Cheers-

Tycho

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
    As you have explained more, I now understand your Question and the reason for it better.

Which is quite relevant, because I met up recently with my Naval Dockyard colleague's who were saying that.
    Their jobs had become a nightmare were any on-board brazing was concerned.
    They are no longer allowed to take oxyacetylene on-board. So as a consequence have to trail long hoses through the ship!
    Which as you more than most will understand what that entails!

So 1 or 2 small brazed repair joints which can take minutes to repair, you can spend several hours laying out and tidying up your hoses afterwards.
    What they do when the ship is afloat I will have to ask them!

When I used to do it there wasn't the same number of rules to abide by, as there is now.

Grizzly.
    I agree Grizzly, doing work in dockyards is a nightmare, they don't allow any pressurized canisters on board the ship, all gas bottles should be kept in a certain area on the quay... meaning we have to use their acetylene/oxygen hoses for our work, and they use the heavy duty kind of hoses *sigh*
    Just bringing the refrigerant bottle on board requires 4-6 hours of paperwork...

Once the ship is on it's own and sailing, it's a different story, because they want the problem fixed, and fixed fast
    -Cheers-

Tycho

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cadwaladr View Post
    Should have spelt oxy!
    I'm norwegian, so sue me
    -Cheers-

Tycho

No way,whoops Norway!