8145-20 Paragon defrost timer wiring issues

I am trouble shooting an issue I have found on a Paragon 8145-20 Defrost Timer for a new customer it appears to me that at some point they had several different techs working on their walk in freezer over who knows what length of time but here is what I have found, The power to the compressor stays on when the timer switches to defrost mode so the defrost and the compressor are fighting each other causing the evaporator to frost up, I'm aware that when 4 is open 3 must be closed but there is power at both 3 & 4 at the same time. I have pulled the disconnect on the compressor to defrost the evaporator coils to keep the freezer working I also found that the X screw for the solenoid has full time power and that is not right so now I'm in the process of of tracing down what wire goes where hoping to find out what they did wrong ...owner says they have had an ongoing problem for some time and that the techs have been milking them for cash and may very well be the ones who have caused this wiring problem in the first place.

Please Advise still trying to figure out what the heck they were thinking.
    "New to this site"

Thanks
    David

Re: 8145-20 Paragon defrost timer wiring issues

Use a carrell ir33 freezer controller 2 probe set up with digital temp read out with suitable relays and get rid of the old controller it will be more efficient. Order with 2 probes one for temp. and one to put inside coil near clixon. Programme to 4 3o min defrost with temp termination of 5dgrees c and fand delay 3 mins after defrost usually works good and is cheap
    Last edited by Nudge; 03-04-2016 at 09:00 AM.

I have had the contacts failing to open you may need to give them a good clean, you can easily see them if you drop the timer out of the case, but make sure the power is off.

Attachment 14072 Just to add to everyone else's kind assistance.
    Grizzly
    Despite the High Cost of Living it still remains Popular!

I would change it to an electronic,either elliwell or carel,paragon were great in the day but you may spend time and energy getting it 100 percent one stop fix bringing it up to date?

These controllers and their spares are still available as far as I can make out, however as pointed out.
    They are rarely fitted now on this side of the pond!

https://www.robertshaw.com/Products/...320,2147484321

Grizzly
    Despite the High Cost of Living it still remains Popular!