Hotpoint HM315 fridge freezer flashing internal light

Hello, can anybody help with the below problem, I have been trying now for 2 weeks but to no avail.

When I open the door to the fridge compartment of the fridge freezer the internal light starts to flash on and off also there is a clicking noise that keeps time with the flashing light. This only occurs when the motor is running. After a short time the light remains on, the motor cut out and fan stops. I close the fridge door and after a while the motor starts and stops normally. Both fridge and freezer appear to be working normally. The clicking sound seams be be coming from the area where the control PCB is located. I have tried the following to resolve the problem.
    1 Turned the unit off for 24 hours and back on but still no good
    2.Replaced the bulb for LED type but still no good
    3.Removed the bulb but now only get the clicking
    4.Checked the control PCB located to the front of the unit, no sign of burning or burnt components and no loose connections

Any help welcomed

Thanks

Stewart

Blog Entries

Re: Hotpoint HM315 fridge freezer flashing internal light

Take the PCB to local electronic repair service and tell them to replace all electrolytic capacitors on PCB (or measure them for ESR- Equivalent serial resistance values). Keep fingers crossed!
    Last edited by nike123; 24-03-2016 at 08:18 AM.

G'day Stewart. I'm not familiar with Hotpoint fridges though your description sounds similar to a particular brand sold in OZ.
    Switch the faulty fridge on at the GPO. Freezer fan starts then stops. Compressor starts and continues to run for a minute or two. Open either door and the light comes on for a second or so....turns off and back on repeatedly. Compressor shuts down and the open door alarm sounds. Fridge won't attempt to restart.

Second scenario. Compressor starts and promptly shuts down Alarm sounds. Open any door and the Fan and light are cycling on/off.
    I use a fully functional second hand PCB to see if this corrects the fault.
    Printed Circuit Boards can fail without any signs of damage.
    To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty.

Thanks for the advise guys. I have ordered a new Control module from an appliance repair guy who is selling all his stock and tools as he is soon to retire, cost me £30 including delivery. Hopefully this will fix the problem. Will advise the out come.

Stewc

most likely the light bulb has a corroded base, not exactly the perfect enviroment for a screw in bulb.
    You now by experience where the beer is so where is the problem.

I checked the bulb and no corrosion was found, I then removed the complete lamp holder. Again no corrosion to be seen. I switched the unit back on (without the lamp holder in place), now when the fridge door is opened I only get the clicking noise (six clicks).
    I have now put the lamp holder back in place

Anyway good suggestion to check for corrosion, never thought of that

Thanks

Stewart

Thumbs up Re: Hotpoint HM315 fridge freezer flashing internal light (Now fixed)

Hi all, fitted a new control module and now the fridge freezer is fixed. Thanks all for your help

Regards

Stewart

Blog Entries

Nice to have feedback!