Grooved flexible couplings (Grinnell & Victaulic) allowed in R134a piping?

I have the following question:
    Are grooved flexible couplings (Grinnell & Victaulic) allowed in R134a piping as per ASHRAE-15 & ASME B31.5?
    I do cannot find any particular exclusions of these type of piping joints in these standards.

Anyone has the answer?
    Cheers

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

Re: Grooved flexible couplings (Grinnell & Victaulic) allowed in R134a piping?

I cannot find any Victaulic documents relating to its use with refrigerant and to be honest I wouldn't use it either. Goes against all recognised safe jointing methods I think.
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

Thanks Brian. In this case it would be mounted in the Refrigerant relief vent header.

Thanks Chemi-cool,

I have been reviewing this, but could find only:

518 SLEEVE COUPLED AND OTHER NOVELOR PATENTED JOINTSCoupling type, mechanical gland type, and otherpatented or novel type joints may be used providedadequate provisions are made to prevent separation ofthe joints and provided a prototype joint has beensubjected to performance tests to determine the safetyof the joint under simulated service conditions. Whenvibration, fatigue, cyclic conditions. low temperature,thermal expansion, or hydraulic shock are anticipated,the applicable conditions shall be incorporated in thetests.

I cannot draw a clear conclusion from this clause.

If you have doubts, dont use it.