Refrigerant r32 pipe connections

Hi all,

I have been asked if I can install a Daikin FTXZ25N / RXZ25N wall mounted split system that operates on R32.

We didn't supply it. The householders' father purchased it in France and gave it to his son as a gift. Looking at the installation manual it states that the indoor unit flare connections must be made off outside of the building, but on another page it details how to install the pipes and connections inside.

Confusing to say the least. Does anyone know what the requirement is? We haven't yet taken the plunge into R32, we are waiting to see if the gas is as bad as R407C

Cheers fellas

My tools. Screw driver, Hammer & a Condom:
    If you can't fix it, hit it. If you can't hit it, F**k it!

Re: Refrigerant r32 pipe connections

Danfoss have written some interesting stuff about it.
    http://refrigerants.danfoss.com/r32/

Daikin's paper on R32
    http://www.daikin.co.uk/binaries/334...511-342471.pdf
    On wall mounted units I generally cut the flares off and braze the copper straight on so less likelihood of problem with leaks behind the unit or in buried the wall in the future.
    You should also work out the refrigerant charge to room volume ratio, so even if you get a leak, then it will be below the flammability %.

Yes, thank you for that. I was thinking about cutting the flares of and brazing, but not yet having had my hands on a system i was sure if there was a strainer close to the flare. I guess the connections are identical to R41A units then.

I will have to speak to the guy that has purchased the unit to see what the room dimensions are. I have read the install manual, hence my question as it is a tad confusing as it says 2 different things about the connections.

Hi Guys

It is illegal to install R32 splits in UK with flare connections inside the building. R32 is classed as an A2L refrigerant which has a risk of combustion.( Very light risk and highly unlikely that combustion would occur) R32 needs a limit density of 13 % + vs air and an ignition source exceeding 640 degrees C. But anything can happen.

Cut the flares off the indoor unit, or as you said install the flares outside if possible
    I cannot speak for Daikin but with our R32 units we recommend removing the flares on the indoor side if the connection is to be made indoors.

Best to cut and weld. I have had a few which are ok until you move the pipework a little, then they leak.

Attended the Daikin R32 course and nothing was mentioned about flare nuts inside unless this has changed recently. However a min floor area is required depending on unit size and charge in case of leakage.

Proper mental.

Solder all? No brained,but who would do jobs for family? you only get paid in love and that lasts for how long in families?

Quote Originally Posted by Panasonic-Tech View Post
    Hi Guys

It is illegal to install R32 splits in UK with flare connections inside the building. R32 is classed as an A2L refrigerant which has a risk of combustion.( Very light risk and highly unlikely that combustion would occur) R32 needs a limit density of 13 % + vs air and an ignition source exceeding 640 degrees C. But anything can happen.

Cut the flares off the indoor unit, or as you said install the flares outside if possible
    I cannot speak for Daikin but with our R32 units we recommend removing the flares on the indoor side if the connection is to be made indoors.
    The chap is on Guernsey. Although part of the Uk they are not part of the EU....or something like that??! I've done quite a bit of work there at Cable & Wireless and they do things a little differently on the rock

Yes, thanks for the responses, that was my point the install manual states that the flares should be made off outside the building then on another page shows how to make them off and insulated them as per normal behind the wall mount unit. Very silly Daikin!! I would myself cut and shut them as little chance of a leak that way. And Gideon, you are correct, many of the things they do here are different to the UK. What is it you did for Cable & Worthless? Data centre cooling perhaps?