Help to build NH3 Absorption Refrigerator

Hi All,

I am interested in building/trying to build a small NH3 (1kW or so) ice maker. I have played with NH3 from childhood (but only fountain, lab experiment stuff) and would love to put NH3 to use.
    I am hesitant to make a Icyball/Einstein type refrigerator due to the pressures involved and storing liquid NH3. So after much research I thought of making a setup like this:
    1) Use Calcium Chloride and NH3 as working pair (roughly 1kg of CaCl2 absorbs 1kg of Ammonia)
    2) Use two containers of calcium chloride and charge one container with NH3 to begin with (when heated the first container filled with NH3 gets released/separated from CaCl2 and goes to next step below
    3) Have a compression tube (thinking of reduction pipe or solenoid valve - this valve will open and close periodically allowing compression of NH3 to liquid and release the same)
    4) Once NH3 is released from container one, pressurized on its own (via reduction tube or solenoid valve) and expanded within the same tube setup - it finally goes into the second container with calcium chloride.
    5) Once one cycle is completed the second container is heated and the revers cycle produces the same effect.
    6) Thinking of using Stainless steel pipes and valves used in Ammonia refrigeration.

So I wanted to check with you experienced folks to see if this would work and what tips/tricks you can suggest.

Thanks for your time and help.

Regards,
    Ram

Re: Help to build NH3 Absorption Refrigerator

why re-invent the wheel ?

Re: Help to build NH3 Absorption Refrigerator

Quote Originally Posted by Magoo View Post
    why re-invent the wheel ?
    Thank you Magoo. Where I am heat is cheaper than electricity and thermal refrigeration is not available in small scale. Plus thought tough it may mean initial cost, it would be less maintenance.

Would you have any pointers to build such a thing, will it work in the first place?

Thanks.