Carrier Chiller 30HXC175

Hi All,

I have a customer with two old Carrier 30HXC175 Chillers. each is missing 1 compresser. The customer wants to remove one compresser from one chiller and install it onto the other. Then completely replace the chiller with no compressers remaining on it. My question is, I have informed him that the switch gear, oil and filters, gaskets will need to be replaced. I just want to be sure I'm not overlooking something on this job. each of these chillers are 20-25 years old. Do you think it is a worthwhile gamble to use the comp from one chiller to get the other one up and running?

Re: Carrier Chiller 30HXC175

Hi GAJ.
    If you and your customer decide so any system can be resurrected.
    It's a question of cost right?
    The chillers are on R134a, which I hate. Because in my experience using Nitrogen it's difficult to leak check them.
    I would also question the longevity of R134a?
    Plus I would also be asking myself what caused the removed comps to fail?
    How well has these redundant systems been Isolated from the elements?
    How much time are you allowing to re-instate these systems?
    Also and others may be able to ask this question, What parts are still available from Carrier.
    A couple of years ago now, "We" shut down one of these Chillers because if I remember correctly?
    The Prologic control board failed and the electronics are no longer available.
    If your customer has the space and budget, then I suppose keeping both to cannibalise one and run the other is an option.

Especially if your labour rates are cheap enough?
    Grizzly
    Despite the High Cost of Living it still remains Popular!

Hi Grizzly

Thanks for the reply. The idea is to cannibalise one to restore the other, like you said. After using what I need off one I will strip and store the parts on site. I have not had any dealings with this chiller on this site before. I am trying to get the customer to source a maintenance and service history log for the equipment. I know I will need to replace the oil and filters. I havn't even meggered the motors windings yet to see if they are ok. Before getting too involved wit the job I thought id come on here and see what other people thought about taking on a job like that

If the unit is 20 years old then it is already obsolete and getting some parts may be an issue. As Grizzly has. said it all depends on how much your customer is willing to pay to fix also how long does he intend to run them before replacing both chillers. In theory it can be done but there are a few questions your customer needs to answer such as the history of any repairs carried out. The oil heaters on these units are notorious for failing.
    Gibbo

Hi GAJ87.
    Obviously your client has short arms and long pockets and mean fisted, believe me Carrier chillers are designed for practical life span of 15 years, 20 years max in ideal conditions.
    Do not get involved as you will loose your shirt on whole change over mix and match senario, and still have a pile of old tied equipement.

I am shifting to my new house and want to replace home refrigerator with new one.One of my friend suggested me about Manalapan hvac service.Want more suggestions which systems should I choose.

you should make your own post, a 30HXC175 would be overkill for a house...

Hi Guys

Thanks for the response. I think you guys are right. The whole idea is to install one new chiller and combine the old two to create one that will see him through a few more years. I'll have a sit down with the guy and detail all the possible outcomes, good and bad and see where we go from there.

Thanks again for taking the time to post. Grizzly, Gibbo, Magoo

Hi
    if your client insists and wants to save total replacement, the only realistic option you have is to give an estimated costing only, no fixed contract price. Even do an open book arrangement to cover you costs and expenses, and declared margins, so you are covered for everything. Get a signed agreement first though, get a lawyer to right it up. So all parties are clear on what is expected. Plus progress claim everything monthly to reduce your exposure and risk.
    magoo

Blog Entries

You right since we don’t know how it existing chiller was treated when compressor off line.