Inside compressor rusty

Hello all,

Happy wednesday,

I want to discuss about compressor. In field, some of compressor were locked. after breakdown, inside of compressor was rusty/corrosion. After discuss with compressor maker, their explanation almost same, rusty is cause by some air/moisture inside of compressor.
    But, i already try inject some water (5 gr - 10 gr) to the compressor, and running on high ambient temperature (43 C). after 5-6 month, breakdown the compressor, there is no rusty inside and compressor still running well.
    Is there any specific condition that can make inside compressor rusty ?? as we know the POE oil is higroscopic.

i also attach some of picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Inside compressor rusty

Injecting water?
    Your pictures show a lack of due care and basic Maintenance. Kits in this condition are beyond simply replacing a Compressor and drier. Oil in the pipework will be Acidic.
    To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty.

Dear Mike,

yes, the oil becomes acidic. But what the source that can make oil compressor to be acidic ??
    Injecting water just for simulate and see the effect water content to the oil performance.
    hmm, is possible if acidic oil stimulated by compressor over heat ??

I've seen compressors that have suffered a burnt out motor where they go rusty very quickly as soon as any air gets to them, maybe a combination of air and moisture will make them go rusty quickly?
    Mostly found in Oxfordshire, UK :)

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

It is the addition of oxygen from the ingress of Air that will cause rusting such as your photos. Simple chemistry.
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015