From Transport to Industrial

Maybe I've put this in the wrong forum... Anyways have been a mobile transport refrigeration technician for a thermo king dealership for the last ten years and decided it was time for a change. Start my new job for a company that does industrial refrig. Wondering if anyone here has made a similar move and what I should expect?

Re: From Transport to Industrial

Quote Originally Posted by swampy84 View Post
    Maybe I've put this in the wrong forum... Anyways have been a mobile transport refrigeration technician for a thermo king dealership for the last ten years and decided it was time for a change. Start my new job for a company that does industrial refrig. Wondering if anyone here has made a similar move and what I should expect?
    Swampy, what type of Industrial refrigeration are you referring to?

Hi Swampy.
    Be Prepared to be way out of your depth!
    But when all else fails revert to basics, meaning that when I left the Cold Storage side to work for J&E Halls.
    I spent 6 months bricking myself. But ask questions and you would be amazed at how much you pick up.

Simply put you are likely to be working with flooded Coolers and Surge drums rather than Evaporators and Slop pots!

Just remember the forum is hear to help!
    If you are embarrassed about the perseved simplicity of some of the questions you will undoubtedly have.
    PM me if you wish to ask in a less Public way.

That is not a guarantee that I will have the answer mind!

But the truth of it is You cannot know it all but knowing where and who to ask is a huge step in the correct direction.

Even nowadays I often tell a customer that I am not happy with what I am seeing and are not sure why?
    Adding that I am going to seek advise from my colleagues that are more familiar with the system in question!

I have yet to meet a customer that is unhappy with that scenario, most appreciate their problems being looked at with "Fresh Eyes!"

Many on the forum would love a nice Industrial related question to get their teeth into, myself included!
    Good Luck and keep us posted.

Grizzly

Hi swampy.
    welcome to industrial refrigeration, the principles are the same just the components are bigger and more complex-ed. And no situation to get it wrong. Hope fully you will NOT be thrown in the deep end. Ask questions and learn from others experience.
    Very sound advise from Grizzly. ( who I note is now a site moderator and genuine good bloke ).

If you are used to transport it won't be a problem the best news is when you are on industrial you no when you get to site it is still going to be there and not driven of down the road I'm not dissing any of the industrial guys but I have said if you can nail a smx or a vector most stuff is repairable good luck and take grizzly up on his offer

Thanks for the words of encouragement guys! Kinda looking forward to the change and getting more electrical experience to be honest. Pretty sure it's mainly ammonia but sounds like will be a mix of some other types of systems also. Much smaller company I'm going to work for. So I'm looking forward to that also, as opposed to the place I'm at now. I start early next year. Be ready for countless questions lol!