system without refrigerant

Hey everyone,
    I am new here, I have question: how if we run system without refrigerant (the system has vacum).
    Is make compressor broken?

Re: system without refrigerant

Hi wutomo
    Welcome to the forum, If I can guess what your question is related too?

Given the huge range of equipment and products discussed on the forum.
    The one type of compressor that you do not run in a vacuum is Hermetically sealed scroll compressor.
    Basically as far as I understand it and others feel free to correct me!

If you apply a voltage to the motor windings when the compressor is in a vacuum.
    Then insulation of those motor windings are compromised and the motor is damaged.

An alternate answer for bigger semi hermetic compressers which rely on suction gas flow across the motor to cool them. Can also be damaged when running in a vacuum.

Large recips although capable of running in a vacuum could suffer from low oil pressure problems.

Any system running in negative pressure unless designed to do so, could draw in air and that;s another set of issues.
    Sorry for not being to specific but it is difficult to second guess what your actual conditions where resulting in your implied failure!
    Grizzly

If its a hermetic, scroll or semihermetic compressor the motor windings can be damaged by arcing if electrical power is supplied to the motor when there is a deep vacuum present.

I expect an open drive compressor could suffer a mechanical failure from oil problems if run long enough in a vacuum.
    Mostly found in Oxfordshire, UK :)

I mean: the system is air conditioning 1hp use hermatic compressor and there are oil for cooling it. ... is there oil flow when compressor running?

Blog Entries

Air-conditioning hermetic compressors are not cooled with oil. They are cooled with suction gases! Therefore if there is no refrigerant, there is no cooling of motor! Result is motor windings burning and mechanical damage, because oil is not circulating without refrigerant (oil is mixed and carried in system by refrigerant).

ok, I know ... thank's a lot

The compressor, if system is in vacuum, would only get damaged after some time of running, if low suction pressure protection is present then the compressor would not start.