Thread: Google Chrome

Google Chrome

Guys....we have been victims of HACKERS at work.

It looks like they found the password for our router and once past that helped themselves to our network.

Personally, I have had my Paypal account hacked and all from Google Chrome.

In Chrome, you can click the boxes for Synchronization, save passwords and autofill forms.

This is where all of the sensitive data is stored and was captured, simply by them bypassing our router despite the firewall and then looking into Chrome for all of this valuable information that we think is safe.

Don't let it happen to you. Uncheck the boxes now and clear everything down.

A pain in the ass I know but better to be safe than angry, embarrassed, and skint!!

Re: Google Chrome

Oh dear can you not claim it back ?

Jon
    I've spent the best part of the day changing passwords, checking with banks, card suppliers, Paypal etc and trying to out-thinks these low lifes
    Paypal are very supportive and advise that they will look into all of the suspicious transactions and should be able to get my money back within 48 hours..but who knows?

I am being hopeful but constantly wondering what other information they have that may be used in the future.
    Looking at the history log..they appear to have booked holidays with lastminute.com and others...
    It's a bit ftightening

Gees Frank. Cops damage your vehicle, then someone lifts items out of your Van....Now...hackers have stolen your info?
    To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty.

Email from Paypal today advising that they have refunded the disputed funds back into my account (circa 3k) but I'm advised not to touch it for 30 days while the investigations continue....hey...I'm OK with that. Kuodos to Paypal

A salutary tale there Frank.
    Thanks for the advise and your latest regarding Paypal certainly is welcoming news.

I have had cause in the past to query issues (Only for small amounts so far!) and they have not failed me Yet.
    To be fair I have always said that "The day users loose faith in the online banking / payment systems. Is the day those systems will fail!"
    Do you still plan to use Chrome?
    What's the way forward?
    Grizzly.

Hi Grizzly

I'm still using Chrome but since the incident I have found out that there are enhanced security options you can invoke in Chrome such as 2D security. I use the Google Cloud print quite a lot so it would be inconvenient to not have this facility.
    Needless to say, my passwords are now at least 12 characters long and consist of random numbers and letters - the only drawback is that I have to write them down on a bit of paper that I keep in my wallet.

I think the moral of this tale is don't get complacent and update your passwords - never using the same password for different accounts.

what is your router type and model number
    Power consists not in being able to strike another but in being able to control oneself when anger arises

Quote Originally Posted by frank View Post
    Hi Grizzly

I'm still using Chrome but since the incident I have found out that there are enhanced security options you can invoke in Chrome such as 2D security. I use the Google Cloud print quite a lot so it would be inconvenient to not have this facility.
    Needless to say, my passwords are now at least 12 characters long and consist of random numbers and letters - the only drawback is that I have to write them down on a bit of paper that I keep in my wallet.

I think the moral of this tale is don't get complacent and update your passwords - never using the same password for different accounts.
    Really good advise and well worth the inconvenience of doing it. I think I'll go through all
    my passwords tonight and up date them.

So have you stopped using your date of birth as a password

Rob

.. ... -. .----. - / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. . / --. --- --- -..

Franks date of birth, 12bc is not long enough to satisfy most interweb security systems..