Question Changing from being a mobile engineer to static?

Hi guys,

I'm looking for some advice really on what my next move should be.
    I started as apprentice back in 2006 and became an a/c installer about 2 years after.
    After about 4 years I decided I wanted to learn a bit more about the equipment I was installing.
    I passed college (somehow) but I was didn't take much in due mainly to everything being new to me, as an apprentice all I did was install air conditioning, so working on refrigeration plants was a whole new experience.

I have been a service engineer for about 2 and a half years now and have learnt so much in that time. I am 25 and am considered as a senior service engineer at my current company. I only ever work on air conditioning and not refrigeration, although I do bits and bobs on AHU's changing actuators etc.

I am currently on £30,000 and get offered lots of overtime plus a van etc, (normally at least 2 Saturday's a month) plus a van etc, but have been contacted by a building maintenance company who have asked me to go for an interview, offering £35,000 as a static engineer (meaning no van but I live fairly near to the place)

The new job offer seems to be quite attractive as they will expect me to hep out other trades such as plumbers and electricians as a team, so would gain experience doing several things.

The question I ask is has anyone switched from being a Mobile engineer to a static engineer and would you offer any advice?

Thanks everyone

Re: Changing from being a mobile engineer to static?

Yes been there didn't like it,prefer been out on the road going to different sites. It felt like an office job clock in at 8 then clock off at 5! Plus side is less traveling, know where your gonna be day to day. It's all personal experience depends what the gaffers like.

Quote Originally Posted by jonjon View Post
    Yes been there didn't like it,prefer been out on the road going to different sites. It felt like an office job clock in at 8 then clock off at 5! Plus side is less traveling, know where your gonna be day to day. It's all personal experience depends what the gaffers like.
    Cheers Jon.

Did you find a lot of the time you were sitting about twiddling your thumbs or did they keep you busy?

What would you do day to day?

Thanks

The site I was on was a medium factory with fairly new kit so there wasn't a great deal to do you can only clean filters and grills so often. It all depends on the size of your site and the condition of the equipment and ppm schedule really.

first 6mths youll be running about like a headless chicken, then the novelty will wear off, you won't have skive time and will spend more time at a desk mouse clicking- your overtime will drop off and you end up putting on 2 stone- you need variety in your work, don't do it-
    Last edited by install monkey; 06-09-2015 at 09:11 AM.

I could not do it no way,I could jump into a service manager role but the pay would have to be substantial.

It all comes down to personal preference and circumstances. I was on the road for 10 years and loved seeing different sites and meeting different people.

Then I had a child and didn't want the long days, unpredictable hours and being miles away from home most days. I was offered a static role 10 miles from home on a huge site with lots to do as most of the equipment is in need of upgrading and changing. This means I can work lots of hours and still be very active all day. If the site was a new one with not a lot to do I think I would hate it!

I'm only 30 and also wanted to start a career with a company that could offer progression and a chance to become management as I got older. I'm so pleased I made the jump now and would never go back to being mobile again but everyone is different I guess.
    Martin