Where do you fall? Interesting article

http://taocompliance.com/news/?p=765

I think the author is active on these forums. Will refrigeration technicians be replaced by robots in the future?

Re: Where do you fall? Interesting article

Hi Simplygold.
    Where you been?
    Do you not read the posts on here.
    Brian is stating what already happens, I am charged out at sometimes huge amounts.

Particularly if Product or goods worth thousands are at stake. But it is all relative and easy to justify when a lot of value in time and money is at stake.
    When you are doing what was the bread and butter work. Preventative maintenance then no one wants to pay much.
    One cold store I worked at had a maintenance staff of 13 guys / Trades. Now I help look after some very large ones with no permanent staff. With an average of 2 man days on site.
    Gone are the days of top end overhauls on recips, but hey there is still a need for all of us on the forum.
    Yes you can delegate or dumb down some of the work.
    But at the end of the day good guys ( which applies to most here in my opinion!) will vote with their feet in the end.
    So you can either wish for what has gone before (isn't going to happen!) or move with the flow learning as you go.
    The most valuable commodity is someone actually doing something because from that you learn!
    That has value!
    If Brian wants to spout doom and gloom, Do it on another Forum!
    Because this is a positive site where we all help each other and We grow from that.
    Not shrink away and give up!
    Not yet anyway!

Grizzly is my name but I don't have to behave like it.

Keep the posts coming guys!
    They are our strength.

Steve.

I'd give you some rep for that Grizz but i gotta spread the love!! Well said mate!
    Mostly found in the southern part of this green and pleasant land.

Quote Originally Posted by al View Post
    I'd give you some rep for that Grizz but i gotta spread the love!! Well said mate!
    Thanks Al.
    As I said to our 4th year apprentice a couple of months ago,(He is a bright guy with an even brighter Future!)
    "I have been moaning about the impending doom in our profession and how we are all doomed for the last 5/6 years. But guess what I am still earning and "We" are still working."
    So I can agree with Brian, but on a good day Most let me get on with it! The job is still there.
    And knowing the wealth of knowledge available on here makes it a lot easier sometimes.
    Grizzly

It's called progress & efficiency, someone still has to fix something or trouble shoot etc.
    Mostly gone are the day of boiler attendant/fridge operator, just a few left, but bigger plants definitely necessary.
    Someone still has to drain add oil, check defrosting, leaks etc etc.
    Client still has to spend money to get the plant to a high level of safety & reliability, with ongoing improvements.
    These jobs phase out over time, we move on & probably forget, every now & then talk about the old day's.
    we are lucky at the moment, as never been busier, some very old plants finally upgrading.

Hi Grizzly
    Well put mate, glad to see you still have the passion for the job after so many years. In this game you have to continually learn and keep up with the times and as Ranger said someone has to do the oil draining, fix leaks etc.
    Automation in commercial / industrial refrigeration is a fact of life, it's how we deal with it and use it to your best advantage that counts.

Regards
    Paul
    Born to fish, forced to work

Refrigeration to me is a constant changing technology with computer and PLC development. Bring it on is my theory. A rather well paid hobby, I am on call 24 / 7 even at my age. when I stop learning then will go away and leave it to all the new generation mob with soft hands and laptops.
    Good comment Grizzly me thinks.
    magoo