Thread: R134a

R134a

I know this may seem like a really dumb question but can r134a be topped up or does it have to be reclaimed and a fresh charge applied. I was always taught it needed to be reclaimed and always have done but over heard an engineer saying he was just going to top it up as you would if it was a gas like r22.

Re: R134a

R143a is a single fluid and can be used in liquid and or vapour form,
    because of that it can be added to but only after you find and repair the leak.
    Also be vary weary of 134a if the condenser blocks or if the condenser fan fails,
    if the refrigerant runs too hot for too long it will thermally decompose (burn out)
    and the only repair in that case is replacement.

If the system is large enough and I would say that means more than 10Kg and
    if the refrigerant is still in good condition, it would be OK the repair the leak, prove
    the system is gas tight and bring the refrigerant levels to the correct weight.

The refrigerants you have to be careful of are the Zeotropes and they are 400 series
    refrigerants, 404a, 407c, 410A and other 400 series refrigerants.

Rob

.. ... -. .----. - / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. . / --. --- --- -..

Thanks for that Rob.

Like I said I was always told by the engineer I had as an apprentice that r22 was the only refrigerant you could top up...this was based on the most commonly used gasses that we were using at the time, bit r134a was one of them. So due to that I have always reclaimed, repaired and regassed, suppose if like you say your working on a large system that it may be beneficial to top up once repaired, smaller systems are gunna be pretty much too far gone to be worth salvaging what is still in.

Thanks again!

I agree Jammy, Nowadays if you treat all refrigerants like a blend you can't go wrong
    and I think you are also right when you say smaller systems are not worth the worry,
    just replace with new and you will always be safe.

Regards

Rob

.. ... -. .----. - / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. . / --. --- --- -..