Converting Home Ac's to Centralized AC system with single compressor / condenssor

Hi

I am in Pakistan, temperature here in summers are 40.0 C ++ and I have at least 4 Ac's running all day long. Electric bills are high and so are maintenance costs.

I am planning to convert to 1 single compressor (400 volts) and 1 condenser (water + air based) to save electric cost and save maintenance.

For this purpose I am planning to install 4 evaporators separately each in one room with a carrier reefer container compressor.

http://www.carrier.com/container-ref...nits/ThinLINE/
    http://www.containerequipment.nl/car...er-repair.html

This would be frequency drive such that frequency on compressor would be depending on number of evaporators working. For example for 1 evaporator 30 HZ, for 2, 40 HZ and for 4 50 Hz.... just an idea on frequency.

1) Do you think this would work?
    2) Will this save electric cost?

Regards
    Salman Khan

Re: Converting Home Ac's to Centralized AC system with single compressor / condenssor

Hi Salman,
    If your aim truly is to save on the running costs then you can't beat proven technology.
    A modern multi split by any of the main manufacturers will beat a home-brew every time when it comes to efficiency.
    Samsung, Daikin, Mitsubishi, Hitachi, whichever is available in your country look at their performance/efficiency data and select the one that claims the best values and makes a unit with the duty suitable for your home.

Yes, your reworked reefer unit might work but you are unlikely to get it anywhere near the efficiency of a modern purpose made multi system. Remember, these guys spend millions on R&D and are competing against each other with the main measurement being efficiency.

Another option to beat the running costs down in hot climates, if you got access to well water that normally is cooler than the ambient air is to look in to the water cooled "outdoor"units made by Samsung and Daikin (might well be others available but these are the 2 I know of) as this will allow the system to run with lower head pressures even on hot days.

If you on the other hand are looking for a cheap installation... Well that is a completely different discussion altogether but the answer will be very similar.

Last edited by The Viking; 21-06-2015 at 09:52 PM.

Re: Converting Home Ac's to Centralized AC system with single compressor / condenssor

Hi

Thanks for quick reply.

Cost if also one of the significant component, but availability also. I will search in Pakistan if such systems are available.

Thanks for well water idea, but for this also I need single condenser to install this on roof because at present condensers are all over in different places.

So if I design a system myself than how can I calculate what size of compressor/condenser I would be needing?

I have some experience working with cold storage and reefers and have some basic ideas, but not the detail specs I would be needing.