Seeking R404A Advice & Tips

Hi everyone,

I have recently changed jobs and have been looking after a few cool rooms (never had previous refrigeration experience except for when I did my course 8 years ago)

I had a compressor burn out on a R404A unit. I installed a new compressor, new driers, burnout drier, etc etc.
    After giving the unit a vacuum I weighed in the same charge as what I originally pulled out.

Once I ran the unit I had a normal looking head pressure but a low suction pressure.
    I've ended up adding a touch more gas and had a play with the TXV (winding it out around 1 and a quarter turns) before I had pressures that looked better.

When I left the coolroom it was reaching temperature (set at 3 degrees Celcius) though it felt it is taking a bit longer to reach than before.
    My suction pressure at the condenser is 60ish psi (around -5 degrees Celcius). Head pressure is around 250-260psi.

On the Evap I have a 1 degree Celcius suction pipe temperature and a -5 degree saturated suction temperature/pressure.

Does this sound about right for the R404A gurus?

I have a very slight ice build up on the inlet of the Evap and the suction returning is very cold but not sweating.

Air off the fans I was getting less than 2 degrees Celcius.

I am a bit worried about why I had to adjust the TXV and add more refrigerant when I put an identical compressor in it. My concern is maybe the TXV is failing..

Any advice welcomed

Cheers
    Last edited by jonesy_87_; 20-05-2015 at 01:19 PM.

Re: Seeking R404A Advice & Tips

It's always good practise when changing a compressor to change the txv,most reputable compressor rebuilders insist on it for warranty.

And an add on,you ask why did the original fail? if it's single phase change the starting electrics if it 3 phase always ! change the contactor and overload,seen so many instances of a contactor taking out a replacement compressor.

Contactor and all starting electrics were also replaced.
    Original compressor had a winding down to earth causing an instant trip.

Cheers

Evaporating temperature seems a bit high, but it would depend on many things is its ok. Too high an evaporation temperature will slow down cooling or even prevent the room reaching temperature.
    Mostly found in Oxfordshire, UK :)

Hi Jonesy.
    A quick check is to read air onto evaporator and compare to SST at evap, evaporator super heat should be 60>70% of that value.

Thanks guys,

I'll check the air on next time I'm on site. I was there today and it appeared to be running well. Wasn't icing up, was reaching temperature and holding all day.

Ill recheck it again next week!