Planning to hire a car whilst abroad from the 8th of June (UK licence holders)

Hi Guys
    Off Topic I know!
    But it may assist some of the forum members?
    Just a bit of Info regarding UK drivers hiring a car abroad from the 8th of June 2015!
    Please read the details found within the below from the BBC website.
    It may help some.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-32481382
    Grizzly

Re: Planning to hire a car whilst abroad from the 8th of June (UK licence holders)

interesting Grizzly....thanks for the heads up

Re: Planning to hire a car whilst abroad from the 8th of June (UK licence holders)

How does this apply in the UK? or does it not affect uk citizens

Quote Originally Posted by cadwaladr View Post
    How does this apply in the UK? or does it not affect uk citizens
    Hi cadwaladr.
    The way I read it is if you are a UK citizen who holds a UK licence and wishes to hire a car abroad then this info is relevant!
    If however you do not wish to hire a car abroad then you are 100% correct and it is irrelevant.

Grizzy

? What I meant was if you are a UK citizen renting a car in the UK it's still the same as it was.

? What I meant was if you are a UK citizen renting a car in the UK it's still the same as it was.
    You got me there my friend, good question. Maybe someone may know the answer?
    I will try and find out.
    Grizzly

Yep it's relevant in that there are hoops to pass through.
    I quote-
    Confirming your driving record to an employer or when hiring a vehicle
    After 8 June 2015 if you are hiring a vehicle or you drive for a living and you are asked to provide evidence of your driving record (entitlements and/or penalty points), you will be able to do this online for free by accessing our Share Driving Licence service. This service is currently in development but will be available before the counterpart is abolished. The service should be used by both paper and photocard driving licence holders and will also allow you to download a summary of your licence record which can be printed or shared.
    Alternatively you can call DVLA and give permission for your driving record to be checked verbally by a nominated person/organisation.
    To find out how. follow this new link.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/d...icence-changes

Grizzly

Well my hire is to happen on the fourth of July so I will print one off,the hire companies charge a fee for ringing dvla and as my date is on a weekend,using the old Irish saying to be sure to be sure good info grizzly as some people decide to hire a car when they have been at their destination for a while.

Well my hire is to happen on the fourth of July so I will print one off,the hire companies charge a fee for ringing dvla and as my date is on a weekend,using the old Irish saying to be sure to be sure good info grizzly as some people decide to hire a car when they have been at their destination for a while.
    Thanks I thought it was quite relevant to some on the forum, especially as the Holiday season is upon us.
    Grizzly

Good information,

However, as UK, to the best of my knowledge, is the only "civilised" country using counterpart driving licenses I have never been asked to provide the paper bit when I rented cars abroad. As long as you can present the plastic part together with a credit card they are happy to hand over the keys, most likely because the underpaid desk jockey doesn't even know there should be a paper slip to go with the plastic driving licence.

As I nowadays travel far to much long distance within UK and therefore frequently end up renting cars at godforsaken airports without having my paper counterpart with me (old age ) I can also happily report that the UK rental companies already got the system in place to call DVLA's nominated 3rd party verification service.
    (Even worked at midnight from a Scottish rental place)

A good practical update!
    Thanks Viking.
    Grizzly

I don't know where you are renting but, if you were in the USA or Canada, just a drivers license with address and CC is necessary. No international license or anything else.

Hi Mike.
    Your comments are appreciated and relevant to North America as it stands.
    It's likely as has been stated to be a similar situation in Many other countries. But Just imagine the poor engineer who plans to hire abroad and has not bothered to print of the necessary piece of paper.
    Print off the data and your covered if someone elsewhere whishes' to demand the Info!

Our Government is saying it's necessary!
    As an individual we all have the choice whether to bother or not, provided We know in the first place.
    Having spoken to my companies "Fleet Manager". The whole issue of when we Engineers have to produce our licence to drive or be allocated company Vehicles is being looked at by H.R!
    No doubt clarification will be forthcoming?
    However it will in some form affect those of us based in the UK as it applies here.
    Grizzly
    Last edited by Grizzly; 03-05-2015 at 09:54 AM.

F. M. D.

Honestly, the UK just gets worse & worse!

I know we all joke about needing a licence to visit the loo, but honestly I can see that being introduced as soon as they can find a way!

The rental car I am getting in the UK I may add is in July,the rental company said bring both parts of your licence? Dvla say destroy it after June the eighth and this is a national hire company,I think they brought it out originally knowing that people would lose/misplace it then they charge you for a replacement,stealth tax we know the score George Orwell was correct!

Apparently when you apply to DVLA for a code, this is time limited to a few days. So you need to apply literally just before you travel or the code will not be accepted. Oh great joy for some!
    Mobile A/C at its best, see avatar.
    Bedford. Now retired and trying to relax.

You can't beat the old green paper licence ,phew its 29c here in Turkey