Thread: Ofn in system

Ofn in system

What is the best way to remove the refrigerant from a system that someone has put ofn into that is still charged with refrigerant

Re: Ofn in system

Think i'd get a big recovery bottle, try and take the refrigerant out the system as a liquid, then there would be just vapour and the ofn left, then see how much would go in the bottle without the pressure going too high.
    Its making the best of a bad job imo.
    Mostly found in Oxfordshire, UK :)

Alternative way assuming bulk of ofn is in condenser only, turn system off, isolate condenser & transfer gas into into evacuated reclaim bottle.
    Maybe it would have to be done more than once to get it out.
    All depends how big or small system is & if you have access valves as well.

In larger system liquid drain of condenser can be closed filling up condenser as much as possible with liquid.
    Turn system off,then transfer gas off top of condenser as much as possible into reclaim bottle.

Interesting,

I assume you got your F-gas ticket?
    What would the right answer be to this question if it turned up on your test to get the ticket?

As there is no way to know where the refrigerant ends and the OFN starts, the lawful answer is to reclaim it all and send it away for recycling.

In the good 'ol days, before we cared about the ozone layer and future generations, yes no probs... we even used to vent OFN from the top of condensors, you only held a Halide burner by the vent and shut the vent when the flame turned green (or you got that sharp smell in your nose)...

But I'm just showing my age now.