Whirlpool fridge freezer ice despenser problems

Whirlpool side by side fridge freezer
    Model SB540
    8586-420-15010
    11.0734 005458

Afternoon guys... I have been helped by this forum many times just by reading some of the articles... But am stuck now!

I have a Whirlpool fridge freezer thats not despensing ice... I have 233v at the electrical connection on the ice motor inside the freezer door and the motor sounds as if its going to work... But just hums! I have fitted a new motor to find the same thing happens! It just hums!

I have checked both micro switches in behind the control panel on the freezer door and found both are good and the plastic handles for both water and ice are in perfect order as well... And there arent any broken wires at the door hinges either...

So... I have 240v at the motor but it doesnt work... It just hums. I have loads of ice and its making ice just fine... Just wont despense into glass!

Any ideas please!

And again thanks to everyone involved in this... Hopefully someone will show some interest and give me another solution to this. Only thing left in my eyes is the control panel but thats very expensive...
    Last edited by Ogg14; 17-04-2015 at 04:33 PM.

Re: Whirlpool fridge freezer ice despenser problems

I would appreciate any ideas at all. I dont want to order a new front pcb if thats not what it is...

Many thanks
    Andy

Never worked on one, generally when motors just hum its because they have seized up or the thing they are driving has seized. Is the thing the motor drives free to turn?
    Mostly found in Oxfordshire, UK :)

have you tried it with no ice in?- as if the ice has been there a while it can freeze into a big lump

Thanks for the replies...

I know the motor sounds as if its siezed but two new ones? And with 240v at the motor when you press the ice pad. Its all very strange! The metal rod that inserts into the top of the motor is free and it just sits into the drive of the motor. It slots in!

Mmm... Strange i know...

Thanks again lads...
    Andy

I have tried it with ice in box and with ice box off... Makes no difference at all... I tried with the motor in my hand and you can feel it while its in your hand... Trying to do something... But it just doesnt turn...

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Ogg14 View Post
    Thanks for the replies...

I know the motor sounds as if its siezed but two new ones? And with 240v at the motor when you press the ice pad. Its all very strange! The metal rod that inserts into the top of the motor is free and it just sits into the drive of the motor. It slots in!

Mmm... Strange i know...

Thanks again lads...
    Andy
    Are you sure there isn't a voltage drop when power is applied to the Motor? Did you check Current draw and compare the reading to Motor specifications? I suspect a faulty motor relay on the PCB.
    To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty.

Quote Originally Posted by Ogg14 View Post
    I would appreciate any ideas at all. I dont want to order a new front pcb if thats not what it is...

Many thanks
    Andy
    Ah..."Front PCB" is just a key pad in the control circuit. It simply sends commands to the main PCB.
    To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeref View Post
    Ah..."Front PCB" is just a key pad in the control circuit. It simply sends commands to the main PCB.
    So the front PCB on the freezer door just sends a signal to the main board at the rear of the machine? Then that sends a signal to the ice motor... I thought that the signal to the ice motor came from the front PCB...

I havent checked for current drop... And the voltage to the motor stays at 240v when you press the switch... No voltage drop!

I know it sounds like a faulty motor but i have had two new motors now with the same fault... Am completely stumped!

Thanks for the ideas...

wire a light bulb to it, if it works then u have 2 duff motors

Quote Originally Posted by install monkey View Post
    wire a light bulb to it, if it works then u have 2 duff motors
    I have since been back and connected up a fan motor and when you push the handle for ice the fan moves for a split second then stops... I have traced back the wires to the control board connection and there doesnt seem to be any voltage there when you push the handle... Its not cheap but just want to make sure it maybe at fault. I cant think of anything else...

I have checked the micro switch and have replaced the motor so only thing is the PCB where the motor connects too...

Andy