Critical Temperature

This is dealing with R-507, which I believe has a CT of ~160 f. Current discharge pressure is 220 psig with a discharge temperature of 158 f. I believe that is like a 63 f discharge super-heat, which to me seems high. None the less, this is how it has been operating for several months. Does anyone see a problem here, or am I just misunderstanding something? Twin screw / thermosyphon chiller.... slide at 40%, hot gas bp closed.....

Re: Critical Temperature

Need to add, no I haven't checked the temperature transmitter to verify temp, but the other system (same set up) is operating same just a few degrees lower in discharge temp...

Quote Originally Posted by PLEH2EREH View Post
    This is dealing with R-507, which I believe has a CT of ~160 f. Current discharge pressure is 220 psig with a discharge temperature of 158 f. I believe that is like a 63 f discharge super-heat, which to me seems high. None the less, this is how it has been operating for several months. Does anyone see a problem here, or am I just misunderstanding something? Twin screw / thermosyphon chiller.... slide at 40%, hot gas bp closed.....

I work in degC so I had to convert but I think you are confusing critical temp with
    the discharge superheat. Discharge temp is the temp of the gas and it is super heated
    way above the saturation temp. It is the saturation temp that goes critical if it
    touches the critical point.

On my Ph your system is running about 15bar and 30degC condensing temp/pressure
    and the discharge superheat is about 70degC. This might be a bit high. When I complete
    the graph and follow the compressor compression cycle it is showing high superheat
    to the compressor.

I would look at the evap and see if it is set correctly and check the superheat to the
    compressor from the suction return. If the suction return is high the compressor discharge
    will be high also.

Rob

.. ... -. .----. - / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. . / --. --- --- -..

Thanks Rob. It was my bad. Getting old and just forgetting to plug in all the "factors".. Thanks anyway!!