Threaded View

Re: DIY Compressor Wine Cooler Help (Newbie)

Quote Originally Posted by BradC View Post
    The best part is you can set the compressor speed directly with a resistor so you can tailor it to whatever you want it to be.
    How do I do that? Maybe it will become obvious once I have one in front of me.

See at 10C it will move ~130W, so you won't run short of capacity. You will need a 12 or 24V DC power supply to drive it. No big deal.
    As I said, the PSU should do the trick.

You could get that evaporator and stretch it out to a flat plate across the back of the cooler. Plus even at full speed the BD35 is a quiet little compressor. I'd still put a fan blowing across the evaporator.
    I'll probably keep it in its O-shape as it would fit better and look nicer.
    I don't see why I would want the fan? Wouldn't that get the evaporator warmer and thus a noisier comrpessor?

Best part about the isotherm units is they are pre-charged and easy to put together. Ideally in a perfect world you'd get a fridgy to evacuate and properly set the charge level, but in practice they work pretty well out of the box. We have one with a Eutectic plate on the boat.
    Yeah, I like that part.

I'm not saying it's the perfect solution, but it's going to work better than what you have now and you won't need to stuff around with custom parts. Also, the compressor runs much faster and therefore the noise it generates has more of a high frequency component which turns out to be easier to silence.
    It is not the perfect solution. Ok, but best guess, is it good enough?
    I can live with the wines beeing no colder than 17 degrees in summer (when ambient is 27 for a month). So there should be enough power. The noise is my biggest concern.

What would be a solution that would be more quiet? And would that fall in the same price range? Or many times as much?

Thanks again,
    Mike

*EDIT*
    I promised a picture. Here goes:
    Vinkyl.JPG

Not the best picture, but it would give you an idea of what I have going on. (It isn't rotated on my computer, can't tell why it is rotated here?)
    The brick wall, the wooden decorations, the tinted glass door. Everything works well in the appartment.
    Last edited by roosm; 23-03-2015 at 09:00 AM.