working in Spain

Have any of you lads ever worked in Spain or Canaries. Would like some info on your experience and what the situation is for start up etc. Thanks

Re: working in Spain

I'm in Lanzarote in the Canaries, to be honest the odds are fairly against you. The main issue is f-gas. It is possible to transfer another European F-Gas certificate, but it's very expensive and takes a long time at least 2 years. During that time you can't touch anything with gas in it, and that law is enforced here. To buy or transport gas you have to be F-Gas registered as well as the company, so there is a lot of paperwork involved. If you don't speak Spanish it would be really hard to do. To do the F-gas exam you have to have a minimum 3 years experience with a licensed company and the RITE qualification, which is a 2000 hour course.

To be self employed is expensive. My social security payments are 360€ a month, then you have quarterly tax returns and IGIC (VAT equivalents) have to be paid. I assume mainland Spain is even more expensive as their tax rates are higher. It's a lot harder and more invloved to run a business here than in the UK.

I don't know how different it is in mainland Spain, I assume the same. I was in Madrid last week and there was a company advertising Daikin splits installed for 700€ incl. labour and VAT. If that's the going rate over there, then they are making about 50€ an install. Not worth the hassle in my view, you would have to do 20 of those a month just to cover your costs.

If you going to do it, then I would look at Fuerteventura. I am always getting calls off people wanting air con over there and not being able to find anybody. I have some Spanish friends who do quite a bit of work over there. You would just have to figure out how to get the qualifications sorted, that's going to be the stumbling block.

Good luck.

Re: working in Spain

It's funny how different nations Interpret EU legislation.

The qualification from any EU nation is valid in any EU nation
    except where that nation decides to enforce it's own rules
    and make it harder to cross borders.

We are a funny group of nations all working together, to pull
    in different directions. I wonder why we bother sometimes.

Regards

Rob

.. ... -. .----. - / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. . / --. --- --- -..