RyanCSI Guest

Question Reefers in HIGH ambient temperature zones (+50 to 55*C) How do this work?

I have a request from a costumer in UAE (United Arabic Emirates) for a costumized 20 feet standard ISO Reefer container. I have tested a container with a Carrier 69NT40-301 in our climatic test chamber, at 45, 50, 55 and 60 *C.
    The result was as follows:
    With Carrier unit running, everything worked up to 60*C. When Carrier unit was off, it refused to start after reaching 50*C.
    This was because the High Pressure Switch setting was equal to the pressure in the refrigerant at 47-48 *C.
    So what do you do in High Ambient Temperature areas?
    Remove refrigerant?
    Replace HPS?
    Use water cooled reefers?
    How can I make sure that the reefer starts in temperatures higher than setting of the HPS ?(pressure calculated to temperature)

Re: Reefers in HIGH ambient temperature zones (+50 to 55*C) How do this work?

What is the refrigerant?

You work to a saturation temp that does not exceed the
    maximum operating pressure of the system. If you stay at
    a safe level under the limits of the system you can work at
    any pressure you want.

It depends on the refrigerant and it's saturation pressure.
    you would not wan't to have a pressure higher than the maximum
    pressure of the system.

Rob

.. ... -. .----. - / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. . / --. --- --- -..

Carrier transicold fit a water cooled condensor as an option as temperatures in the hold of the ship are high,they also do a co2 unit which may be helpfully as gwp May be a consideration,they have a good website,carrier transicold

RyanCSI Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rob White View Post

What is the refrigerant?

You work to a saturation temp that does not exceed the
    maximum operating pressure of the system. If you stay at
    a safe level under the limits of the system you can work at
    any pressure you want.

It depends on the refrigerant and it's saturation pressure.
    you would not wan't to have a pressure higher than the maximum
    pressure of the system.

Rob

R134a Standard on Carrier 69NT40.
    The problem is related to a non-working unit who are exposed to high ambient temperatures. The problem occurs when we try to start the reefer.

RyanCSI Guest

The co2 system is not an option for my costumer. The refrigerated container will be used in desert environment, and only be used in special cases. I will look into Carriers solutions with water cooled condenser. I've worked with Thermo King's Co2 units, but this was not a closed circuit and needed refilling from special depots.

I don't know a solution to your problem but 134a is only at 14 ish bar at 50 odd degC
    and at 60 degC it is at 15ish bar. At 70 degC it is still around 20ish bar so if the system
    is pressure rated for it can the hp switch be adjusted to allow a start up?

If it is down to the hp switch setting, adjust the switch, as long as you are under the
    safe limits of the system.

I might be totally misunderstanding the complexity of the system but it seems a simple
    fix to me, to just adjust the controls to allow the start (within the limits of the system design).

Rob

.. ... -. .----. - / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. . / --. --- --- -..

Just a suggestion
    maximum unload compressor for hot start up, 6 cylinder O6D compressor from memory. To get structure and internal temp to a reasonable condition. You will have to check rupture plugs and reconfigure HP switch and control system, and pressure ratings of receivers etc. definitely will be a special design. Should look at operational limits of condenser fan motors as well