Technology for Lightweight, Low Cost, Small Volume

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum so forgive me if I'm not posting in the right place.

I'm looking for advice and guidance on designing a refrigeration system for a small, well insulated volume, about 3.5 cu-ft. The biggest thermal load in the chamber would be about 50 lbs of water.
    Lowest temperature would be around 35F.

The know very little about cooling and having trouble figuring out where to start. I've looked into thermoelectric modules, which are exciting for being compact and not requiring refrigerants but seem to be expensive and I have some doubts on their effectiveness.

As a newbie, it's daunting to start to design a compressor based system. How do I figure out what size compressor, evaporator and condenser to use. What refrigerant to use? How to assemble and charge?

Any thoughts or guidance will be much appreciated.

Ben

Re: Technology for Lightweight, Low Cost, Small Volume

Well...To be clear, there has to be a time frame for reducing 50 lbs/ say 23 Kilo's of water from ? to 35 F.
    With no mention of incoming water temperature and out-going flow rate makes this impossible to answer.
    Last edited by mikeref; 08-02-2015 at 10:07 AM. Reason: .............
    To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty.

Re: Technology for Lightweight, Low Cost, Small Volume

Yes, excellent point... Time frame is about 12-18 hours. The idea is to circulate air to cool water that would be contained in a vessel. Once the thermal mass is in the chamber, nothing will come in or out. Pretty much just like a wine or beverage fridge.