Cleaned my wall mounted LG units scroll fans the other day - pictures attached

What a tedious job to do, especially 4 indoor units. Took approx 1.5hours each to strip down and put back together. Given that most wall mounts get like this you would think they would make it easier to get the fans out. I had to strip the unit down completely only thing left was the coil which lifted off its mountings.

Someone needs to design a wall mount where the fan is placed before the coil so that it's not being in the cold then when the unit is switched off left in the damp. My units are all set with the dry feature turned on that rotates the fan for 20 mins after it's turned off to dry the coil out. Mould covered 3/4 fan scrolls. The units have been installed for nearly 3 years and are cleaned yearly and filters cleaned every month in the summer. This mould makes the idea of air conditioning quire dirty to think it is is blowing air out like this.

I cleaned with coil cleaner and a solution of bleach to ensure nothing was left. They will prob just get as bad. Heating airflow is massively improved now though. I am wondering if having constantly recirculated air adds to this problem. Maybe I need to increase fresh air in the cooling season?

What if anything do you do to prevent this?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Cleaned my wall mounted LG units scroll fans the other day - pictures attached

We clean all scroll fans approx. every 3 years,
    We had a cheese shop once that needed cleaning every 6 months
    Its how they are, Im surprised that the LG units went together again, with out too many bits falling off
    Which is becoming a common problem these days

Re: Cleaned my wall mounted LG units scroll fans the other day - pictures attached

I hope you put some anti-seize compound on the boss and motor shaft, or it won't be coming out again next time after getting wet.
    I tried doing that on a daikin once that had seized on to the shaft, took hours of struggling to get it off. Resorted to breaking it just to get it out, that didn't work but loosened it off enough to remove it.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy AC View Post
    I hope you put some anti-seize compound on the boss and motor shaft, or it won't be coming out again next time after getting wet.
    I tried doing that on a daikin once that had seized on to the shaft, took hours of struggling to get it off. Resorted to breaking it just to get it out, that didn't work but loosened it off enough to remove it.
    I used WD40? That should be ok shouldn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by S_Line View Post
    We clean all scroll fans approx. every 3 years,
    We had a cheese shop once that needed cleaning every 6 months
    Its how they are, Im surprised that the LG units went together again, with out too many bits falling off
    Which is becoming a common problem these days
    I think a lot of dirt and dust bypasses the filters. Yes these are coming up for 3 years. I might try do them every two.

instead of the 90 mins of stripping the indoor to get the scroll out, i get a bin bag taped to the underside of the unit- remove the drip tray and louvre assembly and us a spray doc with warm water- makes a mess but works and saves time

109.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by install monkey View Post
    instead of the 90 mins of stripping the indoor to get the scroll out, i get a bin bag taped to the underside of the unit- remove the drip tray and louvre assembly and us a spray doc with warm water- makes a mess but works and saves time

109.jpg
    Problem with this is that then the motor shaft gets wet and if you ever have to remove the scroll to get to the motor it ends up welded on and the only way to get it off is break it off.

I tried using a steam cleaner on the bedroom last year, took bloody ages and didn't do that well of a job and made a right mess!