Nh3 Evacuation Procedures

Hello fellow engineers I am put to the task of developing an evacuation procedure for my facility. The generic procedure developed and is in use currently is if in the event of an ammonia leak vacate the building and go to a designated muster station to which I disagree with. We have 2 engine rooms one at either end of the plant with 260,000 Sq. feet of storage broken up into several large rooms. We also have a large office at one end of the facility there has been some new thoughts of what to do in the event of an ammonia leak ( should I stay or should I go) meaning stay in the building or proceed to a outside muster station. So the way I see it is if it is a cold room leak vacate the area close the doors and go from there if it is a leak to atmosphere such as an engine room leak ventilating to atmosphere through exhaust fans or condenser leak or relief valves stay inside until notified on what to do instead of having staff running into harms way we have wind socks on the building and at the muster stations but this concerns me any input would be appreciated thanx and have a great day.

Re: Nh3 Evacuation Procedures

nanuuk,
    I am no expert in this area butwould suggest that the office area could have it's own muster point.
    The idea would be to account for everyone on site, so entry to site has to be managed carefully, the office area may be excempt from that though depending on how far you want to go.
    Does the office aircon have fresh air intake?, might have to be taken into consideration.
    The issue with the office could be being trapped in case there is severe leak, so everyone would still have to be accounted for somehow.

If there is a fire alarm on site, what is the procedure for that?, try to keep consistent to avoid confusion.

What sets off evacuation for ammonia leak?
    Is there a public address system to direct people?

Maybe ask local authorities like fire department for advice.

Hi nanuuk
    I would suggest you have several muster points. You will need to have wind socks that can be seen form any point on the site and in the event of an Ammonia leak you would evacuate upwind.
    In some cases it is better to stay inside and turn off any A/C but this would need to be accessed depending on where the possible leak point is and if this building or office is downwind of the possible leak point.
    Before you write an evacuation procedure there are many things you will have to take into consideration, following are some you may want to consider.
    Location of offices, location of possible leak points, prevailing wind conditions, building egress points, mobility of personnel (are there people in wheelchairs), is there a PA system that can be used, wind socks, assembly points where personnel would not be at risk from other hazards (trucks, forklifts), designated fire wardens, designated first aid personnel, accurate evacuation maps.
    There are probably some more things that may need to be considered depending on the site.
    Regards
    Paul
    Born to fish, forced to work