Drefer Guest

Unhappy Never ending cleaning condensor

Hi Guys,
    I have 2 screw compressors (at a cruising ship) and big problems with dirty condensor. Due to all mud it's need to clean it in mechanicel way often specielly in summer time. Now I heard that there is some kind of small round plastic balls to use (with re-cycling) do anyone heard about this or has anyone some tips how to solve this problem?

Drefer

Blog Entries

Re: Never ending cleaning condensor

Hi

I have used this http://www.kamco.co.uk/FX.htm on the few occasions where I have been lucky enough to stuble upon a condencer fittet with recirculation

It's called Descalex or descaling liquid.
    -Cheers-

Tycho

It's better to keep your mouth shut and give the impression that you're stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Drefer
    Hi Guys,
    Due to all mud it's need to clean it in mechanicel way often specielly in summer time.
    I am assuming it is water drawn in from the surrounding sea that acts as the coolant.

If you clean it, what stops the mud getting in again, and why? Seems that the water intakes should be positioned so as not to pick up mud, and would have some kind of filtration system.

The other thought is water flow. Have you had any problems with water flow restriction that may cause the mud to settle out instead of getting flushed through the tubes by a strong flow? Again, intake filter blocked?

Steve

Hi Drefer

what about the Total Desolved Solids, if the condenser doesnot bleed off a small amount of the sump water the TDS will build up causing a slurry in the sump

Kind Regards, Andy

That's in case of a tube in tube condensor I suppose.
    Problem with these is that the end covers must be specially be threated (coated) for the seawater.

You better use for this application plate HE, compact, cheaper and reliable.
    It's better to keep your mouth shut and give the impression that you're stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

In case of a tube in tube the inside of the tubes is the water side, so can yoi then have TSD?

Re: Never ending cleaning condenser

If you are using seawater the dirt problem probably develops when you are in port.

Several things I can recommend to you for investigation:

The water velocity may be too low to provide a cleaning action on the tubes. If the condenser has enhanced surface tubes on the inside surface they will look like a rifle barrel with grooves. The grooves can accumulate material more quickly than a prime surface tube (smooth inside).

The brushes Peter is describing should work OK for that purpose.

Another consideration is to use a centrifugal separator to remove as much dirt as possible from the water before the water flows into the condenser. You may have to use a basket filter downstream of the separator to catch the small particles.

Re: Never ending cleaning condenser

It's not always because they lay in the harbor.

The temperature in the condenser is mostly at ideal warm conditions to let grow bacteria to some sort of slime inside the tubes.

In my begin days when I learned the job, we worked many times on very bigs container boats.

Placing a mesh filter in an open system is a must and I think this is done.With bypass valves over the filter so that it can be cleaned/removed very quickly and easily

Even with a closed system with a chiller, we always install a filter to remove debris while installing the system.

Red face Re: Never ending cleaning condensor

Reminds me of my Navy days.
    I agree with some of the comments below, first check is filtration on your inlet, should be duplex filters fitted. If there is a recirculation system fitted ensure this is allowing as much water to bleed off as possible (I would think though that it was a single pass penn valve type though, check velocity is high enough and check pump flow rate.
    Always an issue in ports though if you are out a lot you should not get a lot of problems apart from if in high temperature waters with low velocities.....

Quote Originally Posted by Peter_1
    It's not always because they lay in the harbor.

The temperature in the condenser is mostly at ideal warm conditions to let grow bacteria to some sort of slime inside the tubes.
    I agree with you Peter. There are a lot of possible factors to consider. Drefer mentioned mud in his post and it was my thought that this could be caused by the water conditions created by the ship in port.