Question Daikin VRV2 Noisy wall Mounts - Please help!!

Hey guys,
    Had a call today to a VRV2 system with noisy wall mounted units.

I am apparently the 4th person to look at it and i'm stuck!!

The wall mounted units are 'gurgling' and 'hissing' and there seems to be no explanation!! I have checked all piping, no cross-overs, checked gas levels which are spot on, no noises from BS boxes, its all working pefectly.

The Daikin tech guys have been through everything and their only answer is that 'VRV2 wall mounts are prone to a gurgling sound'!!

I want to know if anyone else has come across this? Daikin say that the solution is to replace the wall mount with the latest version, which is compatible, but its a lot of work for a 'gamble'.

Any input would be great...

Cheers.

Re: Daikin VRV2 Noisy wall Mounts - Please help!!

EEV impulse for indoor unit in BS?

Had an issue in the past with a noisy system before,turned out someone taught it would be good idea to put in some of the refnets in backwards. Obviously it wasn't. Noises like that can be hard to tie down. Does it happen all the time or when changing from heat to cool etc?

Quote Originally Posted by ktm View Post
    Had an issue in the past with a noisy system before,turned out someone taught it would be good idea to put in some of the refnets in backwards. Obviously it wasn't. Noises like that can be hard to tie down. Does it happen all the time or when changing from heat to cool etc?
    Hi,
    The BS box is silent and there is anywhere from 6m to 14m between BS and Wall Mount. The noise is only on heating and its more obvious once the unit has reached temp and the fan slows. Maybe the fan is just masking the noise so its more obvious once it stops! Im trying to find some history on the system as I think the noise has always existed, but once its been pointed out, you cant help but hear it!

oh, and all pipework is good, refnets all right way and flat!

If the noise is a refrigerant noise it should get quieter when the unit reaches temperature as the EEV should close down . Can you confirm the indoor coil temperature drops once the set point is reached. What are your air on/air off temperatures?
    Check the transducers readings at the outdoor and compare them to your gauges. I had Piping making noise on a VRV 2 system before due to the discharge transducer reading incorrect.

Hi Neddy,
    The problem is on 5 or 6 units out of 16. I would imagine any issue with the condensor would affect them all?! Daikin said 'some vrv2 wall mounts were prone to noise' and this seems to be the stage that all previous contractors got to. To me, it sounds like the EEV is letting by instead of fully closing...

If you think that the valve is passing you could try reverse the operation of the valve. If you swap the yellow and the blue cables on the expansion valve cable plug this will reverse the valve action. So when you set the unit to full heat it will drive the valve fully closed. If you still get gas passing or temperatures for Th.2/3 on the controller then you know the valve is not closing fully.

setting mode 50 has lev settings/trimming

Quote Originally Posted by Air Con Mike View Post
    Hi Neddy,
    The problem is on 5 or 6 units out of 16. I would imagine any issue with the condensor would affect them all?! Daikin said 'some vrv2 wall mounts were prone to noise' and this seems to be the stage that all previous contractors got to. To me, it sounds like the EEV is letting by instead of fully closing...
    In heating mode the EEV doesn't fully close at thermostat off but remains at 224 pulses open to ensure oil return. It is more likely that the noise you can hear is high pressure vapour bleeding through.
    Fit a service checker so you can monitor the valve position while it is making the noise rather than guessing