7189 and NVQ help

Hi all,

After a lot of reading on here I'm getting a bit confused with regards to the difference between the 7189 in Refrigeration, AC and Heat Pumps (level 2) qualification and the Level 2 NVQ in the equivalent.

I have a Level 3 NVQ in another trade therefore I am familiar with the requirements regarding portfolio building, work experience and the progression to obtain an NVQ, but how does the 7189 fit into this?

I believe that the 7189 doesn't require a portfolio of on-site work, therefore could someone start this course with no employer, gain some knowledge, then once an opportunity to gain work based experience arises do the NVQ portfolio and exams only either during or after the 7189? Surely you don't have to start all over again and do the entire NVQ course as well as the 7189???

Any replies are much appreciated and if I'm totally missing something else here please say. Thanks

Re: 7189 and NVQ help

Hi fchris17,

First of all welcome to the RE Forum.

You have the correct information about the City & Guilds 7189 - it is a qualification which you can do without being employed in the industry. To pass it you need similar thoery knowledge to the 6187, you have to successfully complete a series of practicle tasks, but there is no portfolio of work based evidence.

To complete the NVQ (City & Guilds 6187) you do a series of theory exams, do a series of practicle tasks and have to complete a portfolio of work based evidence.

The individual units in the 6187 do NOT match the individual units in the 7189 - so in short, even if you have completed the 7189 you have to start from scratch to achieve the NVQ (6187).

The knowledge you get by completing the 7189 will be helpful when you do the 6187 but that is all.
    Last edited by Tony; 04-12-2014 at 02:04 PM. Reason: Spelling and grammer
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by fchris17 View Post
    Hi all,

After a lot of reading on here I'm getting a bit confused with regards to the difference between the 7189 in Refrigeration, AC and Heat Pumps (level 2) qualification and the Level 2 NVQ in the equivalent.

I have a Level 3 NVQ in another trade therefore I am familiar with the requirements regarding portfolio building, work experience and the progression to obtain an NVQ, but how does the 7189 fit into this?

I believe that the 7189 doesn't require a portfolio of on-site work, therefore could someone start this course with no employer, gain some knowledge, then once an opportunity to gain work based experience arises do the NVQ portfolio and exams only either during or after the 7189? Surely you don't have to start all over again and do the entire NVQ course as well as the 7189???

Any replies are much appreciated and if I'm totally missing something else here please say. Thanks
    City and Guilds are traditionally the route for adults and adult education.
    There are some new kids on the block now and C&G have to compete with them.
    C&G are moving more towards Diplomas rather than NVQ's because they can be taught
    in-house as it were in the college.

7189 is not an NVQ it is a Diploma. With Diplomas you
    do the work in the form of exams, assessments and simulation.

The Trade is moving away from NVQ's and towards to Diploma's.

If you want to do an NVQ then there are the other training agencies

see

http://www.acrib.org.uk/PLB4BT47732

Rob

.. ... -. .----. - / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. . / --. --- --- -..

Do you think that the 7189 will really be seen as the main course to take and they will drop the NvQ2 ??? The company I work for at the min are putting some lads on the 7189 and I was thinking that they was being put on a waste of time course. Ya the lads have done the job for years but never git there papers