Vector starter clicks when trying to start

Fitted new starter ,battery,earth leads, new positive battery cable, ran new feed from battery to 80a fuse,run new earth from battery to control panel,new earth from micro to battery
    When starter tries to crank it just clicks and at same the keypad goes blank, if I earth starter relay manually engine starts first time every time
    I have ran a cable from battery live and earth from micro to another battery and engine starts every time, disconnect this external supply and starter clicks again
    Anybody got any ideas

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

Re: Vector starter clicks when trying to start

I don't know trucks but the starter earth must be straight back to the battery or a good chassis earth point.
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

Fitted new cable from battery earth to starter body and earth from generator housing to main frame

Take the starter off and clean all connections also clean the body of the starter where it connects with the engine.

Quote Originally Posted by cadwaladr View Post
    Take the starter off and clean all connections also clean the body of the starter where it connects with the engine.
    Yes done the above cleaned starter body , engine block, fitted new earth from starter to battery.

There is a 12 volt pickup at the battery it goes via a fuse are you sure that's ok monitor the power going thru the on/off switch when it's on start up your losing power somewhere.

Another thing that can happen is the inside of the battery connectors glaze up make sure you clean them.

There is a 12 volt pickup at the battery it goes via a fuse are you sure that's ok monitor the power going thru the on/off switch when it's on start up your losing power somewhere.
    I have fitted new on/off switch and taken a battery live to switch and problem is still there, also fitted new terminals and cleaned posts on battery.
    The unit will start at intermittent intervals and sometimes run for 24 hrs on stop/start no problem , then without moving trailer or touching anything it will not start at all and could be like this for a full day
    Could fuel solenoid drawing too much current cause this ?

Try putting a relay to operate the starter solenoid,so the feed to the starter solenoid powers the relay and use a feed from the battery to power the starter,normally you would get a code ie start fail when it does what you say?

Try putting a relay to operate the starter solenoid,so the feed to the starter solenoid powers the relay and use a feed from the battery to power the starter,normally you would get a code ie start fail when it does what you say?
    Have fitted an extra relay as close to starter as possible, fault still there ,fit test lamp bulb type at solenoid wire on starter and lights up bright when starter tries to engage. If I bridge solenoid out on starter it will will crank engine every time while doing this the key pad goes blank
    Measured amp draw at solenoid wire and only drawing 6 amps

glow plugs ? something is taking all the power. have you tried pulling the white solenoid pull in wire off the starter.

What your describing normally is a battery fault, or something seized or about to seize.

How about the wire from the battery to MPQC1. If the screen is going blank, it is not the on/off switch circuit. If the on/off switch circuit gets interrupted you will get the closing smv timer and not an immediate blanking of the display. If you loose MPQC1 it will do what you are experiencing.

Quote Originally Posted by Boss302 View Post
    How about the wire from the battery to MPQC1. If the screen is going blank, it is not the on/off switch circuit. If the on/off switch circuit gets interrupted you will get the closing smv timer and not an immediate blanking of the display. If you loose MPQC1 it will do what you are experiencing.
    Have ran a piece of twin core from battery positive to MPQC1 and one to earth point above it and fault is still there
    If I piggy back both these terminals to a separate battery the unit starts every time.
    If I disconnect solenoid wire at starter unit shows failed to start
    Don't understand why unit starts intermittently without touching anything then other times it just clicks, but when iit clicks if I link out solenoid on starter it cranks with plenty of power every time

So if you put a slave battery connected by jump leads to the battery on the unit what does it do?,and I mean the slave leads both connected at the battery.

I had one the other week, wouldn't power up unless i removed MPCQ1 and put it straight back on? Replaced micro - fine.

I'd be trying another micro at this stage
    Last edited by gravy258; 26-11-2014 at 06:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TransCool View Post
    Fitted new starter ,battery,earth leads, new positive battery cable, ran new feed from battery to 80a fuse,run new earth from battery to control panel,new earth from micro to battery
    When starter tries to crank it just clicks and at same the keypad goes blank, if I earth starter relay manually engine starts first time every time
    I have ran a cable from battery live and earth from micro to another battery and engine starts every time, disconnect this external supply and starter clicks again
    Anybody got any ideas

so did you fix it