Help/Advice for newbe!!

Hi everybody,

Firstly id just like to say how glad i am to come across this forum and it looks great guys.

Right, well im 26years of age and after working for an engineering company as a electromechanical assembly worker for the past 4 years im looking to change to something more 'long term'. The reason i say that is because i am not qualified in anyway and i am simply there through hard work after being given a chance. Ive worked my way to earning 28k a year basic which is reasonable consindering everyone else i work with are fully qualified and apprentice served engineers. I am worried about my lack of ANY qualifications because if i would lose my job id be back to minimum wage in a dead end job with 2 kids to provide for.

So ive decided that i want to get into air con and refrigeration in the long term. I am looking to do everning college part time for 2 years at a level 2.
    I am aware that at some point i am going to have to take a massive pay cut to get my foot in the door as a trainee or something earning minimum wage until i gain experience which will be tough but just about manageable. I do have a couple of questions if anybody could help...

Is air con and refrigeration considered to be job in demand? Or are the a massive amount of qualified guys with a real lack of jobs?

Is it possible to do my entire coarse without being employed in the industry? I know it would be advantageous but is it nessesary? I would be looking to find a job once qualified at level 2 with f gas.

Can anybody reccomend any books/literature to gain a good solid understanding of the basics and to gain good knowlege from the basics upwards?.

Thanks everyone, really glad i came across this site, any advice is appreciated as ive got to do this and make it work!, failure is not an option!!!

Re: Help/Advice for newbe!!

Hi, Giovanni88

Welcome to RE forums ...

Quote Originally Posted by Giovanni88 View Post
    Hi everybody,

Firstly id just like to say how glad i am to come across this forum and it looks great guys.

Right, well im 26years of age and after working for an engineering company as a electromechanical assembly worker for the past 4 years im looking to change to something more 'long term'. The reason i say that is because i am not qualified in anyway and i am simply there through hard work after being given a chance. Ive worked my way to earning 28k a year basic which is reasonable consindering everyone else i work with are fully qualified and apprentice served engineers. I am worried about my lack of ANY qualifications because if i would lose my job id be back to minimum wage in a dead end job with 2 kids to provide for.

So ive decided that i want to get into air con and refrigeration in the long term. I am looking to do everning college part time for 2 years at a level 2.
    I am aware that at some point i am going to have to take a massive pay cut to get my foot in the door as a trainee or something earning minimum wage until i gain experience which will be tough but just about manageable. I do have a couple of questions if anybody could help...

Is air con and refrigeration considered to be job in demand? Or are the a massive amount of qualified guys with a real lack of jobs?

Is it possible to do my entire coarse without being employed in the industry? I know it would be advantageous but is it nessesary? I would be looking to find a job once qualified at level 2 with f gas.

Can anybody reccomend any books/literature to gain a good solid understanding of the basics and to gain good knowlege from the basics upwards?.

Thanks everyone, really glad i came across this site, any advice is appreciated as ive got to do this and make it work!, failure is not an option!!!

I do believe some of very experienced members here will come with some good advice for you ...

I wish you a good luck ...

Best regards, Josip

It's impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious...

Don't ever underestimate the power of stupid people when they are in large groups.

Please, don't teach me how to be stupid....
    No job is as important as to jeopardize the safety of you or those that you work with.

You're going to need to have some work experience to complete your nvq , I believe now it's split into ac and refrigeration.it is a reasonably in demand job but be prepared to work long hours in terrible conditions for low pay to start but with experience comes money apprently !

I was once like you, a 26 year old with 2 kids doing similar job to you and i was earning £24k a year, i decided to go college in the evening for 2 years and working with a guy on weekend for experience. At the end of the 2 years i was qualified and i got a job earning £14k a year and that was a big drop in salary and i was doing it for a year, i was in alot of pressure to do well and learn to progress as i had a family and on my second year after being qualified i was earning £26k and on the 4th year i was earning £32 And right now its just over £40k (its double with the over time) if i have not done what i have done my basic right now would have been around £26k
    I can tell you for sure that there is a huge shortage in good refrigeration engineers and some companies in london are prepared to pay up to £50k basic for a very good engineer and even if your bad you will still get £28k £32k with lots of over time.
    You can study city and guilds 7189 diploma and you can do it with out working.
    As for books, i would highly recommend Commercial Refrigeration For Air Conditioning Technician by **** wirz it costs around £50 but if u look around you will find it free on pdf,
    Last edited by Gaz22; 17-11-2014 at 08:00 PM.