Maintenance advice

My Mitsubishi Air-Con was installed earlier this year and I was told it would need a service same time next year. However, it leaked after 6 months and I had to call them in. They are now suggesting this unit is serviced 3 times/year which is very costly for me. I asked advice from another company whom I told this unit was in constant use but they still said they would only service it twice/year and that perhaps my installer were 'trying it on' - their words not mine. They went on to say that only in environments such as restaurants and hair salons would a unit require more service checks.

What does anyone else think? I am really stuck now and don't know what to do.

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

Re: Maintenance advice

Sadly the word 'service' can cover a multitude of sins.

I don't know what envitonment it is working in and that can have a bearing on the matter. Just read your earlier posts and I see that it is a bedroom unit.

I assume therefore that the room is reasonably clean, not too much perfume or deodorant being sprayed around.

Do you clean the air filters yourself at regular intervals?

Do you brush off or wash down the outdoor unit coil at all?

If it is all pretty clean then i would be tempted to say just keep the name of a good service company to hand and call them when you feel the need.

I know I might get shot down in flames by some of my colleagues here but "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_UK View Post
    Sadly the word 'service' can cover a multitude of sins.

I don't know what envitonment it is working in and that can have a bearing on the matter. Just read your earlier posts and I see that it is a bedroom unit.

I assume therefore that the room is reasonably clean, not too much perfume or deodorant being sprayed around.

Do you clean the air filters yourself at regular intervals?

Do you brush off or wash down the outdoor unit coil at all?

If it is all pretty clean then i would be tempted to say just keep the name of a good service company to hand and call them when you feel the need.

I know I might get shot down in flames by some of my colleagues here but "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"
    You assume correctly . I do clean the air filter every two weeks but I'm not able to clean/get to the outside coil myself. When the engineer came to 'service' the unit he said the fan impeller was very dirty and the drain line was blocked.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Choc Ice View Post
    You assume correctly . I do clean the air filter every two weeks but I'm not able to clean/get to the outside coil myself. When the engineer came to 'service' the unit he said the fan impeller was very dirty and the drain line was blocked.[ U
    pic's or it didn't happen..
    Last edited by Brian_UK; 10-11-2014 at 08:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by r.bartlett View Post
    pic's or it didn't happen..
    LOL. Actually I was in the room at the time and he did show me the filter from inside the pump and the pipe...but I wasn't so sure they were dirty. I don't know what a fan impeller is . I'm no engineer . The point is I have been stiffed for a lot of money and that's not good.

The point is I have been stiffed for a lot of money and that's not good.
    I could do with a few customers like you

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

The fan impellor is simply a name for the fan blade inside the indoor unit.
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

Quote Originally Posted by frank View Post
    I could do with a few customers like you
    I guess swearing at moderators is not allowed here . So, know any one who can service at a reasonable price?

You need to let us know which part of the UK you are in before we can recommend someone to take your money lol...��

Quote Originally Posted by frank View Post
    You need to let us know which part of the UK you are in before we can recommend someone to take your money lol...��
    Instead of making sarcastic comments why don't you offer help? Maybe you're not the general nice guy you like to think you are!
    Last edited by Lord Choc Ice; 14-11-2014 at 10:27 AM.

I agree with Brian as long as you keep the coils and filters clean, then service for a bedroom unit would be if or when it breaks down or has poor performance.

Instead of making sarcastic comments why don't you offer help? Maybe you're not the general nice guy you like to think you are!
    It was not a sarcastic comment. How do you expect any of the members to offer help if they don't know which part of the UK you live in?