Thread: Bye,bye 404a?

Bye,bye 404a?

Do i smell a new Gas on the Horizon?

Re: Bye,bye 404a?

Hi Wilt
    You should have attended one of the roadshows that Dean & Wood ran at the beginning of the year. Dewi Garcia of Harp gave a presentation update on the new F Gas regs etc and what it means for the industry. But GWP is the buzz word at the moment and most of the supermarkets and coldstores are now replacing R404A with either R407F or R 407A. These are similar to 404 but have slightly elevated discharge temps but have lower GWP than R404A. There are now expansion valves available for these gases as they are now being used quite extensively
    But even these have a limited lifetime. I have a copy of his presentation somewhere if your interested Ill send you a copy just send me your email address.

Im sure there will be more of these sessions coming up with the various wholesalers to inform you of where the industry is in the coming months, its in your interest to try to attend one of these

Hi Glenn, sorry to have jumped the gun? But i thought it was common Knowledge that there was a new Refrigerant to be used in Transport other than R 404a with a slightly higher pressure/temprature refrigerant,which now eludes me,but brings to the point of units that are connected by hoses teflon/neoprene etc?

You are correct tk are trialing a new gas the number escapes me,my friend in oz was telling me about it not sure if it's on the tk website,I think next year to be a strange one with the r22 issue I have a good stock of 404 and other legal refrigerant not certain but I can see refrigerant increasing significantly in 2015,strange but 134 price has been dropping significantly this year?

R452a that's what tk are using

Quote Originally Posted by cadwaladr View Post
    R452a that's what tk are using
    Yes i think you,re right Cad,meant to have almost zero ODP?

Hi Wilt
    Cad is right TK are trialling R452A (XP44) it has a GWP of 2140, just over half of R404A (3943). It is miscible with POE lube and has a discharge temperature similar to 404A. Made up of R32,R125 & R1234yf. Supposed to be non flammable. Another gas you need to keep . I suspect it will have a short life as the GWP is still high

Hi Glenn
    Thank you for the Information on this Refrigerant i think its supposed to be available January 2015 so not for me,but it means the Field Service Guys will have to be carrying another Gas on their Vans.

I won't need to get a bottle,I don't work on brand new stuff so no need to get the suspension updated for a while!