Electrician with gas licence

Hi all,

I have herd of an electrician with a refrigerant gas licence around where I live in Australia qld. I was just wondering if and how this is possible? I am I qualified mechanic and thought the trade had to be done to get a refrigerant handling licence. Is there some kind of course for other people to get the lience?

Thanks

Re: Electrician with gas licence

I think its the same world over, the city and guilds grounding and examination in the UK is sufficient to highlight the potental hazard of handling refrigerants and the (debatable) environmental impact of badly designed, installed, commissioned, and maintained systems. It doesn't actually train anyone to be a skilled engineer/technician, that always comes with site or factory training from working with seasoned trades people.
    Training may be finished but experience is never complete.

Our trade should be a " registered trade " .

Hi Simdigg
    Welcome to the forum good to see another Aussie on board. There are electricians and plumbers with a refrigerant handling licence but they are probably restricted, see the attached link it's on the Arctick website
    https://www.arctick.org/pdf/RHL%20In...20Brochure.pdf.
    These guys put in high wall splits and small ducted A/C and work on domestic. This goes back to when Ozone Accreditation licence first came in many years ago when we had EPA licences and all you had to do to get accreditation was do a simple test at the TAFE. When Acrtick was formed and took over they just issued licences to everyone who had accreditation in most cases I believe.

Magoo I totally agree and there should be different levels, domestic, air conditioning, commercial, industrial.

Regards
    Paul
    Born to fish, forced to work

There was a Refrigeration company some years ago who had a young qualified Electrician on board. He spent several years in maintenance and breakdown, learning what there was to know on refrigeration electrical systems.

While still employed as a sparkie, he took time off to attend TAFE classes for apprentice Refrigeration Mechanics. Approx 14 weeks of classes and probably correspondence in between over a period of 2 years....Now he is "Dual Trade" qualified.

A 4 year apprenticeship cut down to a part time 2 year...because of RPL. (Recognition of prior learning.)
    That sorta Sucks in my book because he never had "Hands on" Refrigeration experience.
    Best i pour myself another Morgan's
    Last edited by mikeref; 01-12-2014 at 10:39 AM. Reason: Deleted.
    To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty.

Paul Z.
    Are you ready for Summer in South Australia?

"ARTIC" has specific refrigeration qualification levels.
    Domestic, commercial, A/C install, A/C Decommission, Mobile transport and Industrial....and restricted electrical above 200 Volts AC.

May i say R.E.... Queensland is in a drought and desperate for rain.
    To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty.

"May i say R.E.... Queensland is in a drought and desperate for rain."

Mike, was it like this when you were a kid?

G'day Mike. Nope. Not in this "tropical rainforest" region of QLD. 4.4 Meters (14 ft) was the average annual rainfall. Reckon we've hit rock bottom this year.
    Last edited by mikeref; 02-12-2014 at 09:00 AM. Reason: Mike. PM me, or catch up with me on FB :)

Hi mikeref
    Always ready for summer, they are saying it's going to be the hottest one so far, do recall this being said every year for the last 5 or 6 so we will see.
    I have see it pretty dry and hot in Qld so far, wet season isn't that far away so things might change pretty quickly.
    Paul
    Born to fish, forced to work