Thread: leak selant ?

leak selant ?

Hi all ,Has any one used the Extreme leak seal for hard to find leaks, it says it works up up to .5mm holes, which i would of thought would show up on normal leak finding procedure, it is injected with the gauges with low pressure in the system. If the hole is hidden away in the fabric of the building this might be a solution,any thoughts on this ?

Re: leak selant ?

Be extremely careful with injecting foreign properties in to fridge systems as the can block orifices , choke driers and sometimes contaminate the system lubricant, and very often this will void any compressor warranty. If the compressor fails and during strip down foreign contaminants are found the manufacturer will automatically void the warranty unless they have given permission for this products use in their equipment.

I've used the leak sealers that HRP and D&W sell and had no bother with clogging dryers or contaminating systems, I've cured hard to find leaks on long line sets concealed 18 feet within a suspeded ceiling void. Where there's no way the customer would allow access in the void due to the amount of upheaval and inconvinience it would cause them.

The only trouble is, if you have decanted or pumped down and opened up the system for repair, and following a tightness test you observe a percievable movement on your guage indicating that you have a small leak. To add the sealer you first have to re gas and then add the sealer, technicaly speaking you have gassed up a leaking system becaue you don't know if the sealer has worked. The only pointers that it has worked is if you don't get called back due to it not cooling, the onl way to make sure is if you go back a couple of weeks later, pump down, perform a tighness test. Then you will know if it has plugged up the hole.

I think the stuff works when it comes into contact with all or one of the components that make up air, then a curing effect takes place. So the likelyhood of the dessicant or oil causing it to cure up are only possible if the oil is allready containated or there are non condensables in the system.
    Training may be finished but experience is never complete.

Quote Originally Posted by coolflow View Post
    Hi all ,Has any one used the Extreme leak seal for hard to find leaks, it says it works up up to .5mm holes, which i would of thought would show up on normal leak finding procedure, it is injected with the gauges with low pressure in the system. If the hole is hidden away in the fabric of the building this might be a solution,any thoughts on this ?
    might be ok as a quick fix but if a pipe has rubbed through to create a leak, squirting leak sealer in will temporary fix it,but the pipe will continue to rub and eventually leak again