Service & Installation Engineers

Gents,

Just a quick query with regards to above within our industry.
    I'm finding it particularly difficult to source and recruit experienced guys. Perhaps there is a shortage across the UK?
    Are we finding this is the case in all other areas across UK? I'm based in Aberdeen.
    Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,
    Jase

Re: Service & Installation Engineers

Always been a shortage of good engineers,guess it's good /bad depending how you look at it for recruiting bad but easier less pressure excuse the pun jobs available,or could it be the yes/no vote?

Hi Jase.
    It is a world wide problem, because they do not grow on trees.
    Train more apprentices is the answer.

hookster is offline Veteran Poster I am starting to push the Mods: of RE

Training more apprentices is always a moot point! especially here in the Uk. You train them and the technicians are as loyal as a rattle snake! Qualified and off to chase the bigger bucks!

The large companies don't invest in training to a significant level and just fight over the contracts knowing that the staff will just Tupe over. Customer gets screwed as the improvement in service he is after is just a re-branding of the old. (If a contract was well managed why would a customer look to change?)

Small companies invest at disproportional level to offer the improved service that makes them appealing to the customers.

Our government does not support training in a significant way and apprentice schemes are a joke. There should be a decent level of training support and tax reduction for training that will improve one of the highest employer s in the country the Service Industry.
    I love the smell of Ammonia in the morning!

i was a lazy arsed apprentice once

There will certainly be a shortage of supermarket engineers up here in the N.E within the next ten years if the company's don't start any apprentices very soon. Most of the engineers are at least over 35 I would say, and it takes a good few years to get the experience required to get out there on your own. When you look at it we should be worth our weight in gold but compared to other trades we are not even in the running. What other job do you have to be a spark,pipe fitter,mechanical and refrigeration engineer all in one.

Quote Originally Posted by RONB View Post
    There will certainly be a shortage of supermarket engineers up here in the N.E within the next ten years if the company's don't start any apprentices very soon. Most of the engineers are at least over 35 I would say, and it takes a good few years to get the experience required to get out there on your own. When you look at it we should be worth our weight in gold but compared to other trades we are not even in the running. What other job do you have to be a spark,pipe fitter,mechanical and refrigeration engineer all in one.
    Ron you forgot the customer relation officer (Read snake charmer in some instances!)
    How can companies even train within house, when each one of us is costed out as fully fledged engineers irrespective of skill level?
    Unless the task warrants 2 engineers attendance. For which the customer pays.Skills cannot be passed on!
    Certainly within the company I work for the skills shortage is an issue which is starting to be recognised.
    For you younger guys, plod on for your day will come!
    Grizzy

I've worked for a few firms big and small and I have always been the youngest, engineers have always been 35 plus, it's not really a job you leave school and think hmmmm I'll be a fridgie. You either know someone that's already in the trade or are gluten for punishment !

Apprentices have the same motivations as we did at their age. They want opportunity to succeed in this trade, they want respect professionally and they want earn enough to have a comfortable lifestyle. However they are not naive as we once were; they are aware that they are practising a high-demand trade.
    Like us, they will start with an employer because that company answers their perceived needs and they will quit that same company when their needs are no longer being met.
    Unfortunately we have a culture in our trade where we often treat our apprentices like indentured servants. We do this because this is the way we were treated. The modern generation do not tolerate this rough treatment for long. They will usually seek better treatment by working for your competitor during the most inopportune time for your business.
    So if we treat our apprentices in the manner that like we expect to be treated, provide them with a fair wage and working conditions, and nurture their trade skills; they would have no reason to jump ship.

Hi Jase,

I'm a fairly experienced engineer looking to relocate, as it happens I quite like Aberdeen and the surrounding areas. (It is far too crowded here down south).

I'm looking for about £42k basic for 37hrs weeks "door to door"(incl. travel in other words) + OT, 5weeks holidays (excl. bank holidays, they are on top), decent pension contributions, and a 4x4 pickup with tow bar.

Interested?

Quote Originally Posted by The Viking View Post
    I'm a fairly experienced engineer looking to relocate, as it happens I quite like Aberdeen
    You'll be booted out after the YES vote

^^^^^^^^^^
    Aren't we all looking for that!

Quote Originally Posted by frank View Post
    You'll be booted out after the YES vote
    Shhhhh, they haven't figured out that I ain't british yet...

hookster is offline Veteran Poster I am starting to push the Mods: of RE

Its ok the Jocks don't want to be British anyway and when the gas runs out wages will be paid in whisky and shortbread with free black pudding and haggis sarnies for lunch!
    I love the smell of Ammonia in the morning!

Quote Originally Posted by hookster View Post
    Its ok the Jocks don't want to be British anyway and when the gas runs out wages will be paid in whisky and shortbread with free black pudding and haggis sarnies for lunch!
    Always the diplomat!
    I hope it's decisive whatever the result. The last thing anyone wants is for this to rumble on and on.
    Grizzly

Quote Originally Posted by Jase View Post
    Gents,

I'm finding it particularly difficult to source and recruit experienced guys. Perhaps there is a shortage across the UK?
    Are we finding this is the case in all other areas across UK? I'm based in Aberdeen.

Thanks,
    Jase
    Depends on your specific field of service and installation. If you only do splits and filter clean ( for example) some engineers might not apply for that position as they have spent years in the supermarket game.

Same situation applies if your work involves extended time away from home. Some will jump at the chance but others would rather see the missus and kids at the end of the day.
    To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty.

I reckon "Magoo" wouldn't mind a taking a break from the daily grind in New Zealand.
    As for me...i have to keep an eye on my opposition. Nearby city companies are sticking their foot in my proverbial "Door."
    To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty.

i love workin away- can do more overtime and get less ear ache off the boss
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeref View Post
    Depends on your specific field of service and installation. If you only do splits and filter clean ( for example) some engineers might not apply for that position as they have spent years in the supermarket game.

Same situation applies if your work involves extended time away from home. Some will jump at the chance but others would rather see the missus and kids at the end of the day.

In answer to the original question, all companies in Scotland struggle to get good guys up in Aberdeen. Most good engineers find there way offshore so you are competing with the oil industry up there. The engineers that don't go that route earn a tidy living up that way as companies pay well to try and keep guys. Heard £16 an hour.
    @neilbrownNB12

Many moons ago, went to bar in Aberdeen, called Barney Rubble's "great night", the girl from Aberdeen I was see was dirty' with a big "D" and was loaded.
    So if you can put these 3 things together again for me, I will take the job.

Quote Originally Posted by mad fridgie View Post
    Many moons ago, went to bar in Aberdeen, called Barney Rubble's "great night", the girl from Aberdeen I was see was dirty' with a big "D" and was loaded.
    So if you can put these 3 things together again for me, I will take the job.

Would that be taxable as a benefit in kind?

Rob

.. ... -. .----. - / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. . / --. --- --- -..

Gents,

Thanks,
    Jase
    Jase,

I'm on the other side of this problem. Left the industry a few years ago with 12 years experience of commercial refrigeration service & installation (including a couple of the big supermarket names and being self-employed for a while) and some AC experience. Applied for several service engineer jobs lately through agencies, but have got nowhere.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by paul65 View Post
    Jase,

I'm on the other side of this problem. Left the industry a few years ago with 12 years experience of commercial refrigeration service & installation (including a couple of the big supermarket names and being self-employed for a while) and some AC experience. Applied for several service engineer jobs lately through agencies, but have got nowhere.

Paul
    Do you have a F-gas ticket?

If not that might be a reason, if you do how old are you?
    If you are under 50 you should be alright but service
    might be seen as a young mans game?

If you have your ticket and if you are under 50, did you hit your
    last manager? or something like that...

Regards

Rob

Last edited by Rob White; 16-09-2014 at 03:23 PM.
    .. ... -. .----. - / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. . / --. --- --- -..

Hi Rob,

Yep, did a 3-day course last March and got the C&G 2079 cat 1.

I'm under 50 but maybe it's an age thing still.

did you hit your
    last manager? or something like that...
    That gave me a good laugh, cheers mate!

Given our experience with independence movements in Quebec, If I were you, I'd stay put. More hassle than it's worth IMO.

That said, 16 GBP/hr is about $30 CDN/hr which is a bit cheap for a good techie.

Quote Originally Posted by NB12 View Post
    In answer to the original question, all companies in Scotland struggle to get good guys up in Aberdeen. Most good engineers find there way offshore so you are competing with the oil industry up there. The engineers that don't go that route earn a tidy living up that way as companies pay well to try and keep guys. Heard £16 an hour.
    Closer to £20 Neil....but your spot on thats exactly what happens

does anyone happen to have refrigeration basics 3 cd