Hlep with adapter for r134a

Hi guys,
    First time poster.
    I have an undercounter beer cooler which was given to me to look at and possibly repair. I determined quickly that the compressor was not running and checked the start relay and capacitor. I noticed the capacitor was no longer good and replaced it. With the new cap fitted the compressor runs but it does not provide any cooling. Its an old enough unit and evidently has been recharged in the past, by means of those self piercing tap valves. There is one on the process line and another on the suction line. I have a standard r134a charge hose with the pressure gauge which ive used on a few occasions. However as you may be aware by now this will not fit the threaded connection on the valve tap. I was looking at an adapter but im unsure if it will fit the thread on the valve tap. Its an FJC 6016 adapter i was looking at buying. It says its for the low side so that should fit the coupler on my recharge hose shouldnt it?
    Ive measured the threads on the valve tap on the compressor lines of the cooler and found the outside thread diameter to be approx. 11mm with a thread pitch of 20TPI and 1.25 metric also meshes with the threads. Ive inserted an image of one the valve taps, on the back it says "made in USA" and the logo looks like an AI so maybe someone will be able to identify the brand and possibly model?
    any help will be greatly appreciated.
    valve tap.jpg
    tap.jpg

Re: Hlep with adapter for r134a

watso - gold tap!- get em from climate ctr

thats fitted on the charging stubb, not on the 1/4 pipe- so it prob hasnt been peirced- best option is to unsweat the charging line and fit a schraeder stubb with 1/4 tail

thanks install monkey,
    are they all a standard size?
    can you gimme a link to that too please ill have a look for that now.
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by install monkey View Post
    thats fitted on the charging stubb, not on the 1/4 pipe- so it prob hasnt been peirced- best option is to unsweat the charging line and fit a schraeder stubb with 1/4 tail
    the other one is fitted to the suction line. if i press the valve they release gas on both so it must be pireced?
    thanks for your help

If you don't recognise the standard thread on charging ports that has been used in the industry for well over 50 years i'm assuming you have not done your F-Gas assessment and are therefore working illegally on the equipment.

The reason your gauge line won't connect is it is designed for working on automotive equipment.
    Mostly found in Oxfordshire, UK :)

Quote Originally Posted by monkey spanners View Post
    If you don't recognise the standard thread on charging ports that has been used in the industry for well over 50 years i'm assuming you have not done your F-Gas assessment and are therefore working illegally on the equipment.

The reason your gauge line won't connect is it is designed for working on automotive equipment.
    Should have said no f gas assessment. The cooler is now mine and I wanted to see if someone could confirm the r134a adapter would fit the charging port of the cooler. Other than that id just dispose of the cooler.

This is the one im looking at, it's to collect the r134a from the low pressure side. http://www.jbtoolsales.com/fjc-6016-r134a-tank-adapter/

Scrap it leave it outside it will disappear as if by magic!

Lol it probably will disappear pretty sharpish. Only thing is that I have as few cans of r134a and a charging hose.

The can and hose you have is most likely for a car air con, it won't fit this adaptor, standard gauge lines attached to a manifold will though, generally carried by registered and competent refrigeration companies.
    Mostly found in the southern part of this green and pleasant land.

The can and hose is for as car system but im asking if anyone has any knowledge of using the manifold adapter to r134a coupler. The coolers got two standard manifold adapters on its low side but there are adapters that allow r134a automotive hoses to connect to standard manifold adapters. The item im looking at apparently allows extraction of r134a from a standard manifold type connection using the fjc connector.
    Last edited by cf_corp; 07-09-2014 at 01:04 AM.